HybridZ

Engine fixed and running but no lights....

Sweet! I think its the switch... If i take the 3 pin connector and stick a pin in the first 2 slots and take a hot 12 volt wire and connect them I get a right turn signal! Progress!!! So i think it comes down to power is not being shared to all of combo switch sooo not sure where im going from here because all the wires are in place and soldered but progress! :) thanks to all everyone for the help thus far. 

Edited by rajien2

What do the harness connections look like?  That's the part that normally stays with the car.  Your pictures are of the removable stuff.

And the door pillar tag will tell you what year car you're working with.  What's it say?

Sorry didn't see your edit.. ROFL so my title says 78, my vin says 76 my door says 11/75... WTF

Sooo looking at the correct diagram... I think the blinkers get power from the hazard switch! soo I pulled mine and what do you know it looks burned on the car connector. However if you look at the switch end of the connector i see not burn marks. Thus makes me think someone stuck something in this connector.... 

IMG_20150918_143205.jpg

Pulled the tape away looks like the wire was spliced into with a yellow wire remaining. however it burned really bad! I have also found yellow wire residue next to the main connector block by the fuse box.. WTF was this last guy doing? 

Edited by rajien2

Sorry didn't see your edit.. ROFL so my title says 78, my vin says 76 my door says 11/75... WTF

Titles get screwed up or you have an ownership problem.  But at least you know what you're working with.  Progress...

Could be that someone wired in an extra set of lights and didn't fuse the circuit properly, then shorted it.  When a short happens the whole length of wire will get hot but the part that doesn't dissipate heat the fastest will melt and/or burn.  Then if it melts its way to another ground source there's a second short. 

The Hazard switch is in the circuit so that it can blink all of the lights when you press the button.  There's no separate circuit, it's all one system.  Hazard switches can cause a lot of problems.

Titles get screwed up or you have an ownership problem.  But at least you know what you're working with.  Progress...

Could be that someone wired in an extra set of lights and didn't fuse the circuit properly, then shorted it.  When a short happens the whole length of wire will get hot but the part that doesn't dissipate heat the fastest will melt and/or burn.  Then if it melts its way to another ground source there's a second short. 

The Hazard switch is in the circuit so that it can blink all of the lights when you press the button.  There's no separate circuit, it's all one system.  Hazard switches can cause a lot of problems.

Yeah hey if I have plates its all good.... 

Yeah I think thats the issue right now with the blinkers. I have pulled the whole thing apart really its a single hot wire in the middle with 2 contacts on each side, the issue I see is when one side is activated I only get like 1.2 volts. Ive cleaned both end but still no good. Im going to pick up a switch and create my own, what a funny design for a switch. I grabbed a hot wire and touch each side, with the blinker engaged it lights up the back but not flash. I have a feeling this is due to the battery only having 6.5 volts right now, I have a feeling the blinker relay thing acts as a bucket and dumps power after it reaches a point correct? Anyways my wife is picking up a charger right now so I will know soon enough thanks guys :)

And I owe a special thanks to everyone! 

IMG_20150918_192033.jpg

Rear tail lights work when headlights are on if I run power from a spare hot wire directly to the two wires. No change when you step on the break though but I think that should be an easy fix later. I also have blinkers, rpm gauge, and oil pressure. Not sure about temp gauge yet but PROGRESS!!!! Thanks all! :) 

If the red charge light is on or the voltage gauge isn't working at all, then the battery won't charge. Just FYI

Ohhh really? Thats good to know, the red light only comes on in reverse... I have some really weird wiring going on to make this car legal to drive for a while, the stop light are currently routed through the emergency flashers with a solid wire between the flasher deal to make it solid. I'm going to deal with really digging into the wiring when I do the V8 swap, I am just going to route everything to a central dash with 20 switches on it. I'm going to run out with a voltmeter while the car is running so see if its charging off the alternator, I might just be running power to a bad place on the gauge causing it to not work. I will keep you posted.

Yep looks good I am charging at idle without any lights on, headlight are pulling -.01 volts every 5 seconds from the battery. Just checked my links, looks like im pushing 13.66 volts to the harness... I think I might have one to many hot wires linked up but overall the car runs great. I currently have an issue with my stop fuse getting to about 120 degrees, its only with the head lights on; with the brake pedal depressed and hazards flashing (Routed through the blinker thing) same temp. I have a feeling I have a side marker light touching the body somewhere, so I have headlights if I really really need them but i run the risk of melting something. Over all im just happy right now I can drive it around, I also just got the mirrors install... I think they are going to take some time to get use too but I think they look really cool! 

IMG_20150919_202133.jpg

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Edited by rajien2