HybridZ

Compare your Dyno sheets HERE

supernova_6969

I am trying to understand this. What gives you so much power for something that is so stock?

Just the header and intake? Does the MS give you anything? What did you do to go from 112 to 140?

Not sure that 158 hp was a lot. The MS3Pro was just the engine management. I did go to fuel injected and sequential injection/ignition with the MS3Pro and I would like to think that this would have some gains over a regular carb setup but I never dynoed the motor with any other setup. The intake may have helped a bit and I know the exhaust was less restrictive soooo...

So to get the little bit of HP back we just kept giving it more timing and backed some out when we heard it start to detonate. At this point the motor was headed to rebuild so it only needed to last for another 30 minutes of running but I was not too concerned about blowing it up... (it made it through nationals and is now rebuilt and feels stronger than before, a dyno session is coming up and also E85 during the same session I hope)

I will post up another dyno chart in a month or so after I get down to VA beach for some more tuning..

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure that 158 hp was a lot. The MS3Pro was just the engine management. I did go to fuel injected and sequential injection/ignition with the MS3Pro and I would like to think that this would have some gains over a regular carb setup but I never dynoed the motor with any other setup. The intake may have helped a bit and I know the exhaust was less restrictive soooo...

So to get the little bit of HP back we just kept giving it more timing and backed some out when we heard it start to detonate. At this point the motor was headed to rebuild so it only needed to last for another 30 minutes of running but I was not too concerned about blowing it up... (it made it through nationals and is now rebuilt and feels stronger than before, a dyno session is coming up and also E85 during the same session I hope)

I will post up another dyno chart in a month or so after I get down to VA beach for some more tuning..

Got it! 

Thanks

Remeber what timing you ended up with? I am also doing a MS soon.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys.

A new buddy of mine, David from the MsExtra forum (turbo conversion) shared this dyno sheet with me..  here are his basic stats:

1- 1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET 

2- modified 2.8 turbo

3- 285 HP @ 5000rpm @ 17psi 

4- 308 pd/ft @ 4000rpm @ 17psi (with a nice long flatline around 290 before that)

5- Megasquirt, modified 2.8, with Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing (18 lbs. boost), custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm,  440cc injectors,  intercooler, 3" exhaust turbo back, LC-1 o2 sensor, Hallman manual boost controller, EDIS 6 ignition batch fire, 60mm throttle body.

7- has a r200 and spins wheels in first and second.  seems like a sick machine. 

feel free to comment or question, he's curious as to what people will say.  

post-49697-0-72456800-1475891572_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just got back from a frustrating dyno session - just seems like it's been one dumb thing after another for the past couple of weeks - pretty much right after I scheduled the dyno session...First I had the dreaded coolant leak under the dash. Had to order replacement hoses and wait - just got it all back together last night and it still leaked, looks like probably the valve was leaking too. So I just pulled the heater hoses and capped the block outlets for now.

Got to the dyno this morning and my laptop wouldn't connect to the engine controller - spent ~20 minutes trying to debug, finally reinstalled the serial port drivers and restarted and it worked. During the second and third pulls, the serial port started flaking out again, and apparently caused the controller to stutter. Had to shut everything down and reboot, and then that problem went away. Fouth pull was then very strong and we attempted some fine tuning, but during the fifth pull it appeared that the boost controller thought I was overboosting and cut boost.

Oh, and a small fireball around the intake gasket. :o .

So at this point it appeared that possibly the intake/exhaust manifold gasket was suspect - it ran fine but I didn't want to push any farther today.

So, a lot of f-ing around and two good pulls...

So here it is...

694hp/ 633lb-ft torque at the wheels on a Dynojet 248C...

dyno111816

The main new things on the car were:

• GT4294R with a Mamba billet extended tip compressor wheel
  • a new proper Weldon 2025A pump
  • Three holley hydramat pickups plumbed in parallel
  • MOAR BOOST!!! 35PSI on E85
My son took some videos, I'll try to get a link up on youtube shortly...

Despite all the hassles, I'm pretty happy with the results!

Edited by TimZ

What motor Tim?

L-Series with a diesel crank, Cunningham Rods and Diamond Forged pistons, 7.5cr, 3.0L  

Block fitted with BMW under piston oil squirters

N42 head - still has an open chamber, but the piston dish provides a quench area

Dart ceramic coatings on pistons, combustion chambers and exhaust ports

Isky cam (Ron picked one out for me ;)  )

SFP exhaust manifold (the one everybody hates), modded with slip joints to end the warping/cracking issues

TWM 45mm ITBs on a Mikuni manifold, modified for two injectors per cylinder 32lb/hr primary. 160lb/hr secondary

Custom plenum with HKS blow-off valve

Long, long list of mods to this car - hard to remember them all!  Here's a couple of pics...

IMAG0663

BMW Oil squirter

Engine 002

12inj 6

SFP manifold (the one everybody hates)

n42chamber3

Piston1

block1

And here's a video:
[sharedmedia=videos:videos:295]

Edited by TimZ

that is stunning, tim.  sorry to hear about the trouble at the dyno. sems like any regular old day at my house, but it sucks for a proper dyno day.. 

what a beast though, honnestly.

quick question.  since the CR is so low, how does she feel under 3000 rpm?  I know, when you're racing or even driving, it's rarely there, but i'm curious...   seems like  you have quite a lot of torque (around 200ftp starting off at 25000rpm), but not that much hp.. 

in the end though the real answer is not in the numbers, it's in driving it.  so, while there is NO question your car pulls like a train above 4000, how is she down low?

s

that is stunning, tim.  sorry to hear about the trouble at the dyno. sems like any regular old day at my house, but it sucks for a proper dyno day.. 

what a beast though, honnestly.

quick question.  since the CR is so low, how does she feel under 3000 rpm?  I know, when you're racing or even driving, it's rarely there, but i'm curious...   seems like  you have quite a lot of torque (around 200ftp starting off at 25000rpm), but not that much hp.. 

in the end though the real answer is not in the numbers, it's in driving it.  so, while there is NO question your car pulls like a train above 4000, how is she down low?

s

Really on the street the car is very driveable - it feels like a healthy, more "normal" Z when off boost.  Of course there _is_ about a 300hp difference between 3500 and 4500 rpm :D

It's also worth noting that the dynojet loads the powertrain a bit differently than what I see on the street, so I usually see a bit more boost at low rpm than what is reflected here.  Looking at the data from yesterday, I was seeing about 3.5psi at 3000rpm and 15psi at 4000 in 4th gear.  On the street I typically see more like 5 and 19 in third gear, respectively.

Tim, I believe you stated you have quite an aggressive cam in there as well, no?  I want to say I remember some rambling about ~.500 lift and 290ish duration?   I'm also surprised at the low end numbers. I guess that's a 3.0L for ya.

It's not that aggressive on duration - .540" lift and 270 duration, with a 109degree lobe center. 

I think Tim wins... :P

It's not that aggressive on duration - .540" lift and 270 duration, with a 109degree lobe center. 

Nice, that's the same cam I use in my NA L28 (Isky L6 grind). :)

I could use more duration as my power peaks at 6000RPM. The torque tip is due to the crappy F11 emulsion tube, planning to tune that out in the coming months.

post-3287-0-79653600-1479578845_thumb.png

post-3287-0-37668800-1479578932_thumb.png

Edited by Leon

• 1 month later...

post-3547-0-75422400-1482582820_thumb.jpg

L28 87.5mm bore 79mm stroke 2850cc's JE 300zxtt forged pistons, custom rods RSR 1.72

Australian delivered late model E88 head. CNC ported flowed stainless 44mm/35mm valves

300 degree 590 lift camshaft

10 to 1 compression

98 octane unleaded petrol (pump grade)

Clifford 6=8 four barrel manifold

Injection Perfection 1000cfm four barrel throttle body

280 zx distributor locked @ 30 degrees

MS2 3.5.7

Ebay generic headers

3 inch pipe

Varex muffler

It's that induction man.......that's where the power is. :-)  (oh, and the head,,,and cam. lol)

• 7 months later...

Here's what I have:

1978 280z

Rebello Racing 3.2L Stroker

N42 block N42 head

Ported stock intake

360CC Injectors

60mm throtlebody

Pace Setter header 3-2-1

Adaptronics ECU

Z32 Trans (Hoke Adapter)

Infinity Diff 3:69