Ported stock intake

360CC Injectors

60mm throtlebody

Pace Setter header 3-2-1

Adaptronics ECU

Z32 Trans (Hoke Adapter)

Infinity Diff 3:69

T3 Susp.

Impressive especially NA with a nearly stock induction. Who says you can't get any power from a N42 intake. You could only get maybe 32mm runner ID?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive especially NA with a nearly stock induction. Who says you can't get any power from a N42 intake. You could only get maybe 32mm runner ID?

Thanks madkaw! Rebello wanted to do the triple weber setup, which would have given me about 50 more hp but I just wanted the fuel injection.

I don't remember what the ID was but they did cut the intake wide open to do it.

madkaw:

Wouldn't longer runner steal some of the low end torque? (Or is it the opposite?)

As for the bigger plenum, what are the advantages? Is it because it's simply a bigger container from which the pistons can "suck" from or are there other advantages? Wouldn't having a efficient (i.e. less restriction) pre-plenum system make up for that?

Got a build thread or some photos of what you are building?

Are these crank or wheel?

This is crank. I wish it was at the wheel.

Would this engine pass emissions?

The Porsche 996 (M96) engine makes similar power at same rpm. But its a 3.4. (and expensive)

I'm not sure they don't check that to much here. YET!

Get a custom intake with a bigger plenum and runners !!!

Running a n42 now on my little L24, but building a bigger plenum . Can't get very big with N42, not enough meat there

I'd like to get a custom intake but I'm not sure if it's worth the money. Are their a lot of shops making Z intakes?

Going with an ITB setup from Jenvey or EFIHardware should yield the same results as the webers and give you the reliability/tunability of EFI probably looking at just under 2k in induction after it's all set and done not that much different than webers or mikunis.

***TWM is also an option

Edited by theczechone

A lot of shops making Z intakes?  L-series not very many at all, and some of the Manifolds were junk. 

Now these guys make serious stuff and can make anything your little heart desires. Serious kit and serious $$$. Drool is free however...

I wonder what the cost is on that intake it looks great!!! Drool is the word to describe it.

Going with an ITB setup from Jenvey or EFIHardware should yield the same results as the webers and give you the reliability/tunability of EFI probably looking at just under 2k in induction after it's all set and done not that much different than webers or mikunis.

***TWM is also an option

I would like to see some dyno sheets from the ITB setup. That is something i would consider. However I do love that intake above.

The reason a stock type intake can make so much horsepower is that it is feeding all six cylinders while we have a single SU for each 3 cylinders or one venturi per cylinder for triples.

We've known this for many years in improved touring but the downside is that you can only run the injection intake on a car 1975 or newer meaning at least 200 pounds heavier as per the rules as well as having to run a cylinder head/piston/cam combination not nearly as radical as what was available for early 240z.

I feel a well sorted F54/flat tops with a P90 head optimized for normally aspirated running with best stock injection intake could make great power depending on how much you shave the head for the sake of compression ratio.

Has anybody tried the LD28 intake on a hot built N/A engine?

The reason a stock type intake can make so much horsepower is that it is feeding all six cylinders while we have a single SU for each 3 cylinders or one venturi per cylinder for triples.

We've known this for many years in improved touring but the downside is that you can only run the injection intake on a car 1975 or newer meaning at least 200 pounds heavier as per the rules as well as having to run a cylinder head/piston/cam combination not nearly as radical as what was available for early 240z.

I feel a well sorted F54/flat tops with a P90 head optimized for normally aspirated running with best stock injection intake could make great power depending on how much you shave the head for the sake of compression ratio.

Has anybody tried the LD28 intake on a hot built N/A engine?

On the list

post-1083-0-29299600-1501717764_thumb.jpg

I have one as well and considering just a short rubber coupler going to a throttle body with cable actuation.

I guess two throttle body back to back with plate removed out of one would be super easy but likely look pretty ghetto.

I think 60mm TB is as big as one should go since I've driven a super responsive n/a l28 with the Q45 throttle body and found modulating it at low throttle openings difficult since you need very little throttle angle to greatly effect power production.

I mean...........the toyota GTP car made 800+hp with a 54mm restrictor and bob lentz's gt2 350z makes north of 380hp with a 30mm restrictor on a normally aspirated vq engine.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

attachicon.gifDyno graph.jpg

L28 87.5mm bore 79mm stroke 2850cc's JE 300zxtt forged pistons, custom rods RSR 1.72

Australian delivered late model E88 head. CNC ported flowed stainless 44mm/35mm valves

300 degree 590 lift camshaft

10 to 1 compression

98 octane unleaded petrol (pump grade)

Clifford 6=8 four barrel manifold

Injection Perfection 1000cfm four barrel throttle body

280 zx distributor locked @ 30 degrees

MS2 3.5.7

Ebay generic headers

3 inch pipe

Varex muffler

It's that induction man.......that's where the power is. :-)  (oh, and the head,,,and cam. lol)

Do you have the flow numbers of your ported head?

• 5 months later...