HybridZ

Compare your Dyno sheets HERE

supernova_6969

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Nismospek said:

No clue, havn't messed with the engine other than fine tuning the carbs. No Vac Advance though.

Might have left some HP off the chart. Timing is important especially comparing apples to apples . That’s all part of tuning !

51 minutes ago, supernova_6969 said:

Hey nismospek.

Thanks for sharing indeed.   

Seems like the engine is at least as good as when it left the factory.   Has it even been rebuilt?

Performance looks pretty good, especially at 5000+ feet.    

Thanks again!

FWIW, looks like there's a 25% correction factor applied in an attempt to adjust for the altitude. Motor seems either tired or out of tune to me. Start with the basics: valve adjustment, timing, compression check, fuel mixture (dyno shop should've output that). Make sure ignition system is in good shape, e.g. cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and properly functioning advance.

Hi leon. 

Are you saying that the loss of power should be corrected/compensated for in the dyno chart and thus the numbers should be higher?

I might need to brush up on my numbers, but isn't 115 hp and 133lbs/ft at the wheel relatively normal for a stock engine?  This is an honest question, not an rebuke...   

S.

3 hours ago, supernova_6969 said:

Hi leon. 

Are you saying that the loss of power should be corrected/compensated for in the dyno chart and thus the numbers should be higher?

I might need to brush up on my numbers, but isn't 115 hp and 133lbs/ft at the wheel relatively normal for a stock engine?  This is an honest question, not an rebuke...   

S.

The power is already corrected, according to the chart. A dynojet+25% correction is telling me that there's something left on the table.

Initial baseline tune, at 5-6 pounds boost, is 174whp and 218#tq - car weighs 2261 currently

n42/n42 8.3:1 compression L28

440cc RC injectors

Walbro 255 fuel pump

shaved N42 non egr intake manifold

60mm ka24 throttle body

stock 280zx t3 turbo

stock wastegate settings (6psi)

Megasquirt 2 v3.0

Wasted Spark - Coil On Plug setup - Ford V8 coils

38933528584_f7191c63c6_h.jpg

27863839139_66d132ff27_b.jpg

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

5 hours ago, Chickenman said:

^ That looks like a pretty stout beginning for a Baseline Tune. Looks to be well sorted already. Would have been nice to see AFR's. 

Yeah, I wasn't there to see...but I too would like to see the AFR's.

I am excited and I think this engine will hit my 250-300 hp/tq goals with relative ease. Especially once I upgrade turbos.

I asked for, and was told it was, a fairly conservative tune. It pains me that I wasn't there....haha.

I look forward to documenting my results.

Oldman....

How come i haven't heard of this on your build topic??  Did i miss it? :-)

Anyways thanks for posting.  Engine looks strong and steady.   I can't wait to see how it evolves.   

I have to say, i like how the dyno sheet starts the results at 1800rpm.  I find most start later, and i want to see more low rpm information.....

1 hour ago, supernova_6969 said:

Oldman....

How come i haven't heard of this on your build topic??  Did i miss it? :-)

Anyways thanks for posting.  Engine looks strong and steady.   I can't wait to see how it evolves.   

I have to say, i like how the dyno sheet starts the results at 1800rpm.  I find most start later, and i want to see more low rpm information.....

my newest post happened late last night. I just had the car dyno'd a couple days ago.

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2016 at 11:20 AM, TimZ said:
Really on the street the car is very driveable - it feels like a healthy, more "normal" Z when off boost.  Of course there _is_ about a 300hp difference between 3500 and 4500 rpm :D

It's also worth noting that the dynojet loads the powertrain a bit differently than what I see on the street, so I usually see a bit more boost at low rpm than what is reflected here.  Looking at the data from yesterday, I was seeing about 3.5psi at 3000rpm and 15psi at 4000 in 4th gear.  On the street I typically see more like 5 and 19 in third gear, respectively.

It's not that aggressive on duration - .540" lift and 270 duration, with a 109degree lobe center. 

One of my son's friends made this video and sent it to me, in case anybody was interested in what this looks/sounds like IRL...  :mrgreen: 

Edited by TimZ

Wow tim.

I had to check things out properly because it looks like the video is manipulated and plays at about twice the normal speed when the car accelerates..   

so just to confirm, this is your car?  and this is a realtime video?

basically, you drive a freaking rocket!  that is sooo cool..

7 hours ago, supernova_6969 said:

Wow tim.

I had to check things out properly because it looks like the video is manipulated and plays at about twice the normal speed when the car accelerates..   

so just to confirm, this is your car?  and this is a realtime video?

basically, you drive a freaking rocket!  that is sooo cool..

Correct - the vid is not sped up (watch the other cars and the roadway), and Yes it's my car :mrgreen: -

I really like this just because I never get to see or hear it from outside!

• 10 months later...

We need more activity in this thread, so I'll post my current status as I get my VE table sorted.

Dyno-02-28-19.thumb.PNG.06aa329d59c2b5aa98f41532df53c781.PNG

I need to pull some timing from 3-5k still so power will drop in that region, but hopefully I can get some power back as I clean up the high rpm VE which was obviously off. Just following the rules, force it rich with your assumptions and base maps and sneak up on valid data from the rich end of things.

Also, for those curious, the above vehicle data:

Weight: 2400 (might be off, hope to get to scales this weekend and update with known valid data)

Drag Coefficient: .48 (pulled from windtunnel test data)

Frontal Area: 18.5 (pulled from windtunnel test data)

Tire Diameter: 23.69 (running 205/60/14's)

Gear: 3rd (1.308)

Final Gear: 3.545

Dyno Correction Factor: 1 (not emulating dynojet or mustang)

SAE Factors:

(looked up using local weather data online, might not be exact but should be ballpark of accurate)

Barometric Pressure: 30.1 in/hg

Air Temp: 48 (I feel like I should use my IAT readings I was getting under cruise since my turbo inlet is in the engine bay, but meh)

Oh, I guess I should include:

Engine details:

Turbo Block untouched (F54 w/dish pistons)

MN47 head untouched

Stock T3 Turbo

Wastegate pressure (6psi)

MS3X running sequential and D585 LS coils (full sequential, not wasted spark)

Bosch Ford Blue 26lb injectors

Factory Manifold

Factory turbo elbow

Edit:

First off, let me apologize. Apparently I wasn't clear that this is a software dyno, based on megasquirt logs using "VirtualDyno" found here:

https://barnhill.bitbucket.io/

If you frequent EFI tuner boards you'll find it used regularly, and like all dynos, it's best used as a run-to-run comparison tool, not a bragging right.

Edit2:

I got my car weighed, and I came in at 2280lbs. Probably light enough to cause as much debate as any dyno graph, but my car is gutted. No door glass, no dash, etc. I can probably get sub 2200 once I go with a fiberglass hood and plexi rear glass. And an AGM battery wouldn't hurt.

So here's the same graph as above, but in 4th gear, along with timing and fueling tweaks. I pulled out of it early due to heavy detonation still present after 4k, which is likely also the source of the power loss seen. And as much as I'm thrilled to see the extra power... it's telling me I have work to do, as my target AFR is 12.5 at all RPM under boost. Back to the VE table...

280Z-dyno-03-02-19.PNG

Edited by Gollum

Hey Gollum, NewZed.

Thanks for this;  just a few days ago, i was thinking the same but refrain from bumping my own thread....   

So Gollum, seems that your numbers are similar to stock, but with about 30hp and 30 torques more than stock....

The block, turbo and head are stock, and the boost you're running is low (Stock low, or even less, i think stock is 7psi).. 

You've got better jnjectors but that doesnt add power in these circumstances, and same-ish for ignition (some hp, but not 30!)..

So my question is where is he extra power comimg from?  Is it the MN47 heads matched with the block and piston that give you more compression?

And with the nice injectors and nice ignition set up, are you planning on giving it more boost eventually? Seems like your set up csn easily grt to 250-300 whp...

Seb