HybridZ

Wolf Creek Racing STI R180 Axle Adapters & Studs

I finally got around to knocking out the old "D" type half-shaft studs from the Datsun R180 to install onto the Wolf Creek Racing R180 Axle Adapters and ran across an issue. Basically the OEM 240z "D" type studs which I was under the impression should be a press fit (based on tapping out from the OEM diff) dropped right in with no effort into the Wolf Creek Racing R180 Axle adapters- I've attached some pictures with measurements for reference to show what I'm describing. 

Can anyone confirm that the half-shaft studs should be a press fit? 

Here is the part I am referencing: http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=31

I did a bit of searching as well and found this post: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/78123-subaru-wrx-sti-r180-side-axles/page-13?do=findComment&comment=864749

It looks like the OEM studs should be a tight press fit but just wanted to be sure before contacting Wolf Creek Racing to see what my options are here (I'm assuming either return the parts or tack weld each stud). 

Thanks!  

Edit: By press fit I mean interference fit

post-50006-0-71353100-1442798373_thumb.jpg

post-50006-0-67753600-1442798376_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dat73z

Nope....mine just dropped in as well.  The D shape keeps them from spinning when tightening the nut.  Used them like this the whole last season without any loosening or issues.  

This is the only first-hand experience I've had with the WCR side axles, but they're working fine without the press fit that the OEM side axles had.  I'm sure others will chime in.

Thanks for the quick response, jhm! Wanted to make sure this was the case before stirring up a ruckus with Wolf Creek. 

I'll wait for others to chime in as well, but I'm thinking some loctite on the nuts for the studs and safety wiring the CV bolts should be just fine.  

Edit: Since your axle adapters were also machined oversize I'm certain that there are others out there (if not all) machined to this spec in volume. Curious what others have been doing as the Wolf Creek site and HybridZ post above contradict this. 

Edited by Dat73z

Yeah...good question.  Perhaps the dimensions of the four holes changed a bit over the years?  It sounds like the earlier runs required a press fit, and the later versions did not.  I don't know if Todd was using the same machinist(s) for these as John originally was (John Williams, I believe).

Enjoy your LSD -- it's a beautiful thing!  :-)