HybridZ

Project Rex Killer, 240z LS3

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I meant to get to this yesterday but got busy So my buddy's rx7 has ran an 11.6 at 115 mph. That was with a mild 406 iron block oldschool sbc. He is currently working on it now. He went with a 421 dart block and a powerglide. He will be caging it and back halfing the car like mine with a big wrinkle wall tire. And ironically I'll be doing the chassis work!

So in the end it's a close build. He has a block that is over 100lbs heavier than mine, but his glide is lighter than my 4l80e. He will be running some not the greatest iron heads in the beginning. If he moves to an alum head and takes advantage of the stroker, I get to turbo mine!

I'm thinking with a good converter, gears and wrinkle walls on my car, I should be knocking on 10.0's

At the end of the day, were really good friends and our builds have just upped each other's game quite a bit

Edited by nathaninwa

Racing with friends can be tricky. You gotta let em win every now and then, or they will get discouraged and will quit wanting to race. At least keep the race close. And never admit that you peddled it. Make up some excuse like: my timing is messing up at the top end.

I was 2500 race ready, then the hood, rear glass and cage door bars got installed. So let's call it 2600 now to be safe as fuel varies

I have a glass hood to install and wil do glass hatch and lexan rear window over the winter

It does have a full chromoly 10 point cage with dash bar

Edited by nathaninwa

I think 2600 is what most of us consider "race weight." You will have to make weight loss a major priority to do much better than that.  ie-removing door glass, removing all of the door structure other than the skin, deleting headlights, heater, wiper motor, lexan windshield and quarter glass, lighter tranny, etc.  For me, roll up windows and windows that don't scratch is a major plus.  Wipers and a heater that has defrost capability is awfully nice too.

zccjdm.com has a really nice looking fiberglass rear hatch with integrated rear spoiler.  If I was going to lexan rear window and fiberglass hood-I would consider that hatch.  If I build a second Z, it will have that hatch from the outset.

I'm with you, heater and side glass are a must. I did get rid of the stock heater box in favor of an old engine cooler setup I had, just built and shroud around the cooling fan and I have defrost vents. That still needs installed tho, the heater line is looped inside the cabin for now. I'd like to get some led headlights, but having troubles finding some with plastic lenses

I figure with the hood, hatch and lithium battery along with some door cutting and other random stuff, 100lbs is doable. I need to pull the tranny, and may cut the allowed 6 square feet out of the tunnel iirc and re sheet metal with .040 alum and I like the stock seats, but will hold saw them up when I recover em.

But went to the dyno today and left all sad faced after learning about autos and dynos! My 10.7 pass at 132 was done with an off the trailer 415whp. After some fueling and slight timing changes the day ended at 460/400 and it's still makin good whp out at 7300 or so. I'll get the graph posted tomorrow. But I got the data I need for a proper converter, and I think I can get 10.0 out of this combo first thing next season after the minor changes and some aero mods

That website you posted is where my hood came from already! And we have talked about the hatch, along with doors and fenders. The doors and fenders are a little out of my budget but the hatch is affordable along with the cowl setup. I may revamp the hoods height as I don't need that much and I really like the stocks hood appearance, so I may take about an inch out of it

Edited by nathaninwa

I haven't heard that much about how much fenders save in weight. My CF hood does a lot (I haven't weighed them comparatively), but removing the steel hood was a 2 man job and the CF hood I can lift off myself (most of the trouble is with the hood pins and akwardness of the thing).  I keep it on a hinge most of the time for ease of opening.  Once I see your dyno graph I will have some questions about your cam (to learn, not to try to teach).

Keith

The fenders are light, not going to gain much there. My 1971 240Z with a 4L80E and LSX iron block is a pig, 2900 and some change with my 200 lb butt planted in it.  My old set up was a 416 rwhp 6 liter and it went a best of 10.66 at 123, you have a lot left in her with that mph!