HybridZ

Project Rex Killer, 240z LS3

Recently I picked up a 280z to have a driver, so this car is being more straight up race car built instead of dual purpose. I'll still be able to take it down to the local coffee meets and car shows, just not the driver type I was wanting it to be. So it's all about weight this time. 2600 race ready is my goal and with as much power as I have I'm sure I'll be asked for more cage this year!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got all this put together today. Caliper ended up perfect after I had to shim the inner bearing out. The hearings are closer together on the gm stuff so the outer bearing was binding on the spindles taper just before getting tight enough. So I found .030 worth of shim for a pinion, this was enough to get proper preload without bearing binding and proper caliper alignment

I'm pleased with the results, you can actually feel the weight difference in just spinning the rotor.

IMG_0938_zpscgi0itsd.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well, got this project track ready. Racing begins next weekend with a local 1/8th mile top ten series

Borrowed some scales from a friend and all my hard work paid off over the winter. I was rewarde with a 2152lb race car with it 2326 with all safety gear and me in it

FullSizeRender_zps4sn5xuik.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsftzyrn0h.jpg

IMG_1336_zps3yzojra3.jpg

IMG_1335_zpsbwnkaxa7.jpg

• 2 months later...

https://youtu.be/jmoMYCe9x7A

Finally got back to the 1/4 mile this year after my winter upgrades. Nothing crazy but man the results are impressive

This is at PIR in Portland on there street grudge night/test and tune

I made 4 passes doing some testing on Wastegate pressures and starting to turn it up

Major changes this year are a Glide versus the 80e I had, a2a versus a2w cooler and some random weight savings

Setup is still soft on the launch as Portland isn't usually that great with the prep

First pass. 4lb spring, 3400 launch. 10.46@145

Second pass. 10lb spring, 3400 launch. 9.76@152

Third pass. 10lb spring in low gear, ramped in 14lbs in high gear, 3400 launch. 9.39@165

Fourth and final pass. 10lb spring ramped to 14psi in low gear, ramped from 14 to 18ish lbs in high gear, raised the two step 4000. Car mustard an 8.86@171.7

And to be honest, like how we all datalog in our heads, it could have taken more power in low gear, and a bit more in the top of high gear. I could feel the car nose over near the finish and it may have taken more two step as well. But I was happy it made a clean pass and it drove on to the trailer!

The last pass was a medium soft, 1.5x sixty foot with a 5.9x@131 1/8th mile time. The car picked up 40mph on the back half!