HybridZ

How many of you would be interested in a bolt on air ride kit

I am currently talking to bag riders about developing a air ride suspension kit for the early z's. They would be using my z for development of the kit. It is estimated to going to take 1 to 2 months to develop.

What are your guys thoughts on this and is anyone interested in buying a kit. *More information to come*

Edited by ThatOneZ
  • Like 1

Most of the guys on here won't bag their Z's. The one's who really want to lay frame already have found simple ways. Like this guy for example

IMO, I believe that there is no market for a bolt-on air ride. BUT I do believe there might be a small niche for one's who want a cup-kit for their coilovers.

I'd be interested. I need a system that would allow me to raise the front of the car to allow me to keep my airdam on while pulling onto my trailer. Currently I have to remove my airdam and transport it separately. It would need to be a system that was external to the strut so that I could keep my current spring rate. I would even be ok if I had to use an external air source to raise the car.

Coilover conversion most likely not bolt on and if they are $$$ + cup kits even more money. A bolt on air ride kit would be time saving if not money saving.

Most of the guys on here won't bag their Z's. The one's who really want to lay frame already have found simple ways. Like this guy for example

IMO, I believe that there is no market for a bolt-on air ride. BUT I do believe there might be a small niche for one's who want a cup-kit for their coilovers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd say that air suspension, when set up well, does not make the ride any worse than with coilovers, but that's another topic. I would buy a bolt on kit if I didn't already have bags on my car. It took me many months and a lot wasted parts/purchases to come up with a decent set. I used Airlift Performance struts for Subaru WRX at rear and Airrex struts for BMW e60 at front. Installing them was a lot like installing BC racing coilovers, so it required welding on threaded collars. Except at rear I needed to remove the old strut tube and make the hole bigger so I could insert the new tube to the upright.

The idea was to get the car high enough to even get out from my garage, which was pain with static height. I think my car looks stupid when all down but I just love the way it rides at ride height. It's stiff, but more progressive than with coilovers. I used to have 250/255 lbs springs and it feels that with bags it grips better on acceleration. I'm running 540 whp, and no issues on street or track.

Sorry, I guess I was too busy building I didn't take much pictures. I have some here: http://csa-7.blogspot.com . I've had a few different setups for air springs but the current ones are just great and if you wish I can try and take more pictures of the finished setup.

I used to have the typical sectioned struts with Tokico Illuminas so I can only compare with those. To be honest, on open roads there's not much difference. Air struts have more adjustability on dampening and I feel they can be adjusted to all situations. I haven't tracked much yet but will definitely do as I now have fixed most of the little things.

The greatest thing with these struts is that the spring rate can be adjusted to any given ride height due to threaded struts. So I can ride quite low and have it soft for city traffic and longer journeys and then at the same ride height make it harder for track.

Edited by tide75