HybridZ

Timing is Everything....

Well after about two months, I think I have figured out the solution to my problems of fuel pressure and hard starting... and the heat under hood. Without a doubt it all is related to the heat under hood, and more importantly to the timing. I used a piece of double sided insulation hot matt and placed it under the fuel pressure regulator tonight and got the pressure rise from 4psi all the way back up to 9psi. I was amazed... I then touched the remote start solenoid, and burned my hand... touched the vacuum canister, burned my hand... touched the wiring loom... felt like hot spaghetti... Now some of you might wonder why Joe mechanic here hasn't checked his timing lately? Well My light is busted and I really didn't think the timing was that far advanced... No glowing headers, but if I shield the regulator from heat... I have rising and stable pressure. If I shield the starter solenoid... no hard starting and the starter doesn't drag... HMMMMM interesting. Looked in my MSD billet distributor manual and one of the trouble shooting clues is to reduce the timing if things are too hot...

Guess what I'm gonna go buy tomorrow?

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

A case of beer? Really, it sounds like your on the road to recovery. We'll all be able to learn something from your frustrating fuel fiasco. It will be interesting to see how many degrees timing makes a difference in underhood temps. I bet your itching to get back out to kick some @$$. Good luck.

JS

Well Mike, kinda a kick in the teeth to have all this work amount to something so simple isn't it? I really hope it solves your problems... I've been getting frustrated just hearing about all the frustration you've been going through! :P

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

....A new timing light and a case of beer, and then I'm gonna play on my lovely girlfriends sympathies and get her to give me some mental therapy tonight in the hot tub!

Mike

------------------

mjk

Mike, very glad to hear you finally figured it out!

I was wondering where you mounted your remote solenoid. I mounted mine where the battery is stock, up high, and at teh edge of the hood. I'm probably going to build a heat shield for it this week end, based on your experience!

Strange things... I'm running out of clues... I have re-plumbed the system, so that no heat is causing problems with my fuel delivery system, and I have advanced the timing from 11 degrees to 16. Now the fuel pressure falls off from 7.5 psi down to 6 psi in about 20 minutes.. I carnk it back up to 7, and it takes another 10 minutes to fall to 6.3 psi. I'm gonna replace the regulator one more time with this configuration and see what happens, and I'm gonna take voltage readings at every electrical point in the fuel system, and the after that, if I don't find anything, it will have to be either in the carb or the fuel cell...

I know I have asked this before, but any ideas would help...

Mike

------------------

mjk