HybridZ

carb problem

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on a problem I'm having. During hard braking and more important to me hard cornering (autocross) my carb is causing the car to bog and stumble. btw the carb is an edelbrock (carter)design. Ive dropped my pump pressure down, but I havent messed with the floats yet. I dont think they are at fault either. a friend suggested the offroad spring and seat set. My thoughts are that it may need some sort of baffle in the float bowls. But then again, I really dont have a clue. Any advice would be appreciated

Sure sounds like a fuel sloshing problem. Rob was experiencing a similar problem at his last autoX. He runs a holley, and is going to try different floats, (center hung). Maybe another member is running the Edlebrock carb. and has a cure. If not, I'd give Edelbrock tech line a call and see if they have a remedy for you.

JS

Guest Anonymous

update:

I called the tech line and they said to try the offroad needles and seats. got those in and then the car began to stumble at WOT. after much fiddlin with the float height's, I ended up moving the fuel pump (the one in the carb)actuating arm a notch closer to the carb basically dumping more fuel when ya gas it, And Viola!!!!! it worked!! btw the parts did help with the fuel slosh.

So, I'm wondering now am I masking another problem such as the stock sized fuel line I'm running from the tank to the regulator. Ah but thats another story eh? man its always something

john

John, my carb is a temperamental SOB, too. Sounds like you had a lean stumble going into WOT. The richer accel. pump shot must have helped. I don't think you are masking a fuel line problem. I believe the stock lines can handle quie a bit of hp with enough pump. A big healthy 383 like some are running will of course need some garden hose size lines. A high RPM TOP END miss under load/ predetonation/ loss of power would be more indicative of fuel starvation. Low end stumbles, transitions to WOT, surging under cruise, stopping/ cornering etc are more carb tuning problems. You need to keep 4-5 lb at the carb at all rpms. Maybe even higher with smaller lines. (Mine runs about 4.5 to 5 lb at idle and kicks up to 14+ under boost.) Higher pump pressures make it idle rough, sloppy off line, because of fuel bypassing the needle/ seat. A good pump and regulator should keep up with a mild small block. It seems you could spend hours if not days finding the right combination. Good luck!

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited June 04, 2000).]