HybridZ

Stock 240Z tach with modern internals (project)

rundwark

I'm tired of the bounciness of my stock tach, but want to keep a stock looking dash. So I'm starting a project to replace the tach's internals with something more modern.

Goals: completely stock look including lighting, accurate, good needle response with no bouncing, low cost in money and time invested, plug and play, minimal maintenance.

I bought an Autometer 2892 to donate it's mechanism, because it has almost exactly the same scale as the stock tach, it's small (so internals should fit easily in stock tach). It has an air-core movement. I would've preferred a stepper motor but couldn't find an off the shelf tach that has one and has approximately the same scale (they all have either 180° or 270° sweeps) and I didn't want to deal with trying to modify one to adjust the sweep because it'd probably be easier to start from scratch.

Here's a quick comp video of the stock tach ('73 240Z) and the Autometer. I'm running an MSD ignition on the car.

I'll post updates when I start hacking up tachs, hoping this will be a good conversion that others can replicate.

Edited by rundwark