HybridZ

Rocketbunny 240z AKA fuguz

ThatOneZ

This kit sucks. It doesn't follow classic Z lines at all. The car looks broken up and akward. The rear flares extending to the door are hideous. When will these guys realize they can't start a simple fad with vintage Z cars. I really think Sung Kang's Z car ruined a bit of the old school Z car community.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little conflicted about the kit.  It's not my thing, as I love the S30 for the lines it has in stock form, but I can also appreciate the need for widening when people are building track cars.   It never hurts to have another option.  With some tweaking the Rocket Bunny kit could potentially be a reasonable alternative to the Arita Speed kit, as it seems to do similar things, such as open rear flares, full tire coverage at the front, etc.  No idea what either kit does by way of aerodynamics mind you.  

They had a couple of nice ideas, and the way the front flares blend into the crease of the body works pretty well.  The rears seem poorly thought out though and just float on there with no real connection to the shape of the car.  Perhaps they should have rode higher to tie in with the 'haunch' by the c pillar?  I fully agree that having the rears extend over the door isn't a good look.  

Found this pic online, and the car doesn't look too bad from this angle at least...

post-29570-0-95560500-1447220776_thumb.png

Edited by ryant67

Flares are there to cover the tires. They did a really clean, high quality build. I'd have that car in a heartbeat. The absence of a back to those front fenders is gonna be pretty hard on the paint if he really puts race rubber on it and starts slinging pebbles. But I'd have that car in a second. If he decides to sell it after that Best in Show, he's gonna make some money. Don't knock it-go build your own!

If you look at any serious aero cars (world time attack challenge, pike's peak, pretty much any touring car series), they vent the rears of the wheels or leave them open. I don't know where this one falls on the "serious attempt at real aero" scale, but I think that's the look they are trying to reference at least. If it's primarily a street car, rock chips would be a real concern.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/1511-fugu-z-reveal-at-greddy-hq/

So guys i just talked to GRreddy they do not have priceing for the kit yet but they said it should be avaliable for pre order next month. One of the representatives gave me a rough estimate on the price for the kit, he said it was going to be in the $3000 range. ROUGH...... Im only going to get the kit if its around $2500

Edited by ThatOneZ

I was on the fence about this kit for a while as the build videos starting coming out. Mostly because I am 90% against the riveted fender look and big bolt on pieces sticking out the sides of a car that has great lines. BUT...then I saw the video of when they first drove the car. Seeing those new lines, maybe my brain wondering what they would look like actually molded into the car, and that font end looking so unique, rolling down the road raised an eyebrow. Maybe it'll fade in time, but it's the only kit I've seen that made me smile that wasn't just the air damn look everyone already has. 

But once I saw the cost.....estimate aside, all the Rocket Bunny kits offered make that $3-4K est. seem accurate, those thoughts went into the trash can. There will be many items in my build that will break the bank. But dropping $3-4k on some fiberglass I cannot justify. 

this kit >> http://www.jpngarage.com/D-Brinkworth-S30-S31-Datsun-flares-full-set-D-Brinkworth-Flares.htm

....is awfully close to the same look and comes in at only $750. I love GReddy, and I have purchased many things from them in my prior 350z and 370z builds, but these costs remind me of styling kits for exotics, not a Datsun.  

I'm a little bit at odds with this kit on the S30 as certain angles look nice and aggressive, while other angles just don't work for my eyes. Oddly enough I like this signiture look when it's blended in on other more modern vehicles such as the FRS/BRZ, GTR's, RX7, etc... 

I am mostly excited to see, (Big TE37 Fan), the Volk TE37V SL in a (17"x 9.5, 10, 10.5") 4 bolt to fit our cars. After watching all the videos and searching for more technical build facts, the best I came up with is the front tires are Nitto 235/40/zr17" on the 9.5" rims.  I am wondering if they incur any inner frame rubbing with the 9.5's in the front when completely turned. 

Edited by Nelsonian

Equates to about 600 dollars per piece, which for the materials is fairly steep.. They're most likely hand laid polyester parts, which is essentially the cheapest/weakest fabrication route. What you're paying for is the tooling cost, and the time to produce. Six parts takes some time to make, and subsequently trim/process.

I bet they want 12 grand for carbon. I'd also bet they would still be using polyester resin and chopped strand mat. Although I hope not..ugh...

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

Can we please stop being critical of this car and anything that goes along with it and just rejoice in the recognition that the Z is getting? This can only be good for us. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Thats not my problem, my problem is i love the kit and that whole car. But its just too expensive for me to actually want to buy it.

Not a fan either, FLares that don't cover the rear of the tire are the very definition of a ricer mod, looks over function. Also not super impressed with the build quality of the" ZDREAM" car. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice car but just about every car at SEMA is detailed to the nth degree. They apparently painted the car before cutting the wheel wells out for the rear flares, then didn't bother repainting the welds on the inside, you could see the exposed welds and burnt paint through the hatch.

I think it's cool they picked a Z.  I'm disappointed that with all the professionals involved they didn't really do more.  It would have been awesome to see this used to create some really cool one off parts that added more function than the flares.  At least that was what I was expecting for SEMA.

Cary