HybridZ

Should I relocate this O2 bung on a downpipe I bought?

zeeboost

I picked up this downpipe from a member here as part of a turbo kit that I purchased. The downpipe looks like it was pretty well made, but the o2 bung is on the bottom side of the pipe, which is the where I've read you're never supposed to install one. The kit that I purchased seems to be well put together as a whole, so I'd rather run this by you guys first just to make sure I'm not missing something before I plug the bung and weld a new one on the top side.

post-530-0-09730500-1445540422_thumb.jpg

From what I understand, you don't want water to collect in it. If the bung is on the bottom, closest point to the ground, then water can condense and pool in it. The orientation of the picture makes it looks like it more front than bottom. I would not relocate unless positioning doesn't work with your set up.

Bryan

Yeah I remember reading it was to protect from condensation / water accumulation on the sensor. I don't know how much can build up inside an exhaust, I'm guessing that depends on humidity and other factors, but I was worried that condensation might build up right after the turbo and run down the bottom of the pipe, possibly catching the sensor. But since it shouldn't pool up where the sensor is then I'll go ahead and install the wideband there to see how it does. Worst case scenario I'm out a lambda sensor and still have to relocate the O2 bung. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I remember reading it was to protect from condensation / water accumulation on the sensor. I don't know how much can build up inside an exhaust, I'm guessing that depends on humidity and other factors, but I was worried that condensation might build up right after the turbo and run down the bottom of the pipe, possibly catching the sensor. But since it shouldn't pool up where the sensor is then I'll go ahead and install the wideband there to see how it does. Worst case scenario I'm out a lambda sensor and still have to relocate the O2 bung. Thanks for the reply.

The risk of water build up is more at cold starts - Standard combustion by products mostly H2O and CO2. 

When the surfaces are cold the water vapor created in the combustion chamber can condense on them and run to the lowest point. I'm not sure if the risk is from errant readings from a wet sensor or some sort of damage to the sensor over constant wet/dry conditions.

Once everything warms up this problem goes away as the water has nothing to condense on that close to the engine.