HybridZ

going TPI

fl327

hey homiez/homettes. how is it going, dont you love destroying these new school cars and muscle cars/ i know i do, i love reving

on them and watching them fear me. toomuch.

so much, i want to go faster.

i was wondering what would be needed to

swap in a

350TPI from an 80's maro into a 1972

datsun 240z widow maker mob shot.

right now i have a 327 sbc on a rockcrusher

four spped tranny, that is running great. im not going to do this soon, money and time are short these days, but maybe in a couple months when i get all the swap stuff down

and that starts with the right block and tranny. i have a lot of questions concerning the space, namely hood clearance issues that i would like to figure out well. does any of you guys run this kind of setup, and are they quick. i know they get like 270hp out of the 350, any of you guys have one built to the monster pimp status yet? i want to be a monster pimp as well, any help would be greatly appreciated.

ok guys, keeping killing those canthang five point slows and sloppy fat man scarecrow maros, and those jane hondas, my favorite prey.......

Leonard.

the fairlady 327z

Guest Fast Frog

Get JTR's TBI/TPI installation manual. It's a great source of info for swapping OEM TBI/TPI sys from donor cars into your Z.

Only problem is you're swapping all the smog crap along with it!! Another way to go is an aftermarket setup like Accel's DFI, Electromotive, Haltec, etc.(TPI sys). Accel, Holley, and Edelbrock have great TBI sys for a lot less than the aftermarket TPI sys.

Aftermarket TPI sys are quite expensive!! I've got an Accel DFI sys in my ZV8. The fuel injector manifold alone, with 58mm TB and fuel rails, was over $2000. Injectors $70 apiece X 8 = $560 and the Accel DFI setup was $2000 installed. Also, a Bosch fuel pump $350. Then, you have to get all your sensors-IAC, TPS, MAP, O2, Air temp, Water temp, etc. When your done, you've got a powerful efficient sys that's well worth the $$$$.

However, you can do almost as well for thousands cheaper with a an aftermarket TBI (also computer controled) sys. As stated, Accel, Holley, and Edelbrock make great TBI sys!! I'm currently planning my next ZV8 project to have a TBI setup. Accel (I'm partial to Accel because I've got one, I know how it works, and it works great)has a 750cfm 4 barrel TBI setup complete with ECU, throttle body, fuel pump, fuel filter, all the required sensors, wiring harness, gaskets and fittings, etc. for $1350+/-. Holley and Edelbrock have comparable setups in the $1200-$1800 price range.

Another "thumbs up" with an aftermarket setup is that it is computer controled. No chips!!

This means you can change and play with cams, heads, manifolds, etc. and YOU (with a laptop computer) change and "dial" in the fuel delivery and ignition curve that best fits the application.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited June 14, 2000).]

The Edelbrock Performer RPM Pro-Flo EFI comes with everything Fast Frog has, intake, fuel pump, all sensors, computer, harness, distributor conversion kit, everything to make it work. I got it from Summit, it's selling now for $1925.99. Can't beat it!! With my 327, and twist flow heads, I'm making 434hp, 493 ft lbs tq.

Guest Fast Frog

Don't mean to split hairs. BUT Mike Kz is 98% right!! The Edelbrock system he mentioned is one of the best, but it is a TBI (throttle body injection) sys with either two or four injectors dumping into an open venturi into a carb type manifold. The setup is ECU programmable but not as precise as a TPI (tuned port injection)sys. A TPI sys has an actual LT/LS series type fuel injection manifold with an individual air intake runner and an injector for each intake port. TPI sys can be more precisely tuned which might mean a little more power, but does mean more efficiency. The TPI sys is what my setup is. The down side of this sys is thousands of $$$ in xtra cost. However, when I built my ZV8 five yrs ago, there where only two aftermarket computer controlled sys worth considering-Accel with the TPIS mini-ram and the Ligenfelter "box" (See HP comparisons between TPIS mini-ram, Lingenfelter box, Ported siamese runners, and Stock F body Camaro/Firbird TPI runners in TPIS's aftermarket catalog/tech tip magazine). The Holley and Edelbrock TBI sys hadn't hit the market yet.

However, in favor of Mike Kz, If I had it to do over again today, I would definately go with an Accel or Holley setup like his!! There might only be a little diff in power but I'd save a whole bunch of money!! That's why I'm going with his type of sys for my next ZV8 project. Besides,who cares about efficiency and economy when your blasting down the Blvd sucking up Camaros and Firebirds and S#*tting out mustangs and Hondas!! wink.gif

Guest Fast Frog

I stand corrected!!! BOY do I stand corrected!! I just finished looking over my JEGS catalog and reading the fine print regarding the Edelbrock SFI sys. You guys are right!! These must be fairly new??? I hadn't noticed or paid that much attention before. Not a bad price for such a setup!! I better get updated before I start blowing smoke!! redface.gif