HybridZ

JAWZ240Z LSTT S30

Howdy guys,
I've been on the board a couple months and just getting around to starting a build thread. I only find time to search for things, and less for sitting and typing progress, but I'll do my best.

I'm getting better at posting to our facebook page, so please follow it if you have one!
www.facebook.com/jawz240z

I work most of my life away, and the car is finally coming in the garage tomorrow, so I'll be able to work on it around the clock. Working swing shifts takes a dump on my progress and always fighting with daylight or time constraints makes it hard to get things done. My fiance is taking an out of state job for Nov-mid January, so I suspect I'll have a bit more time to get things done.
Anywho, We're building this 71 240z for our wedding car. Most folks have a limo or super classic at their wedding, but we'll have JAWZ. The idea came about right after we met as friends that if we ever built a car together, it'd be a LS swapped 240z. After we began dating, the 240z idea came up as our project together and we'd build it as we had time. We began searching ideas, looking for cars and right after we got engaged the right one came to us. Upon setting our wedding date, one of the factors was "how long will it take to finish the car?" lol
So, onward. We bought this s30 from a guy down the street who between him and his brother had it since it was new. His brother drove it off the lot, and after joining the military left it to his brother (whom we bought it from). He then joined the military, so it got shuffled between who was stateside at the time until the mid 90's and it sat in a storage unit in Alabama.
about 6 years ago, John brought it up to NC and drove it daily and finally parked it in 2012. When my buddy asked about buying it, he got it running again.. Deal fell through and we bought it for 500.00!

After pulling the motor and fully inspecting the front framerails, the passengerside had a little battery acid rust, and a few bends I didnt like from a small wreck. So I decided to cut it off at the firewall, and replace it with a 3x3 1/8" square tubing. I've also replaced the full passenger pan, BadDog rail underneath, and connected it to my 3x3 rail up front. I've spoke with a few guru's on suspension and most refer me here.. so Here's where I need some help.

I'm building the front end off these 3x3 tube rails using S10 knuckles. I'll handle the rear later, but for now.. focusing on the front.
Double wisbone setup is my goal, so what are your suggestions? I'm probably going with fully custom arms regardless, but how would you brace the front end? Tube front like 74_5.0_Z's car? Hybrid design like cobramatt's car? I want to use the short QA1 shocks like the syclone conversion guys use.. Just unsure on how to brace my new tube front up to the firewall.

The rest of the setup right now is as follows:
Iron 5.3 block bored to 5.7
Stock LS1 Bottom End
Rick Crawford Ported and Polished 243's (may swap for 317's)
LS1 Intake
OSCS from LS1Tech AKA De Meanz's twin turbo manfiolds (I bought his old setup if youre familliar with it; its attached)

Twin CX Racing GT35 6162
80lb Injectors

4L60E[for now]
R200 3.70 adding LSD (if i can find one.. currently have a 3.90 if anyone wants to trade)

LS1 Camaro brakes up front on the S10 knuckle/hub
Back brakes are in question

Camaro Gastank
Fueling setup still in thought process
MSA Flares
Wheels:TBD

currently have everything to complete project except brakes, fuel and brake lines, turbos, gauges And the random small things.
Time and money.. more money than time and not alot of either.
Shooting to DRIVE it at ZDAYZ.. but at worst case, we'll be satisfied as long as its at the wedding 10/08/16.
Most of it is done by yours truly. My Fiance is rather mechanically inclined, but zero internal/fabrication patience or skill. She's built her 350z into a rather sticky track machine to still have the stock DE-Revup. We were at Sebring, Road ATL and VIR last week if you happend to see the green/black 350z.. it was also at AMP for ZnatZ last year.

post-47984-0-13240700-1445724009_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little confused, do you currently have a 3.9 LSD R200 and the open 3.7? If so why don't you just swap the carriers between the two? Also very interested to see how the s10 double a-arms turn out, I don't have the knowledge to help there but, it should be quite the undertaking and educational.

I currently have whatevers stock in the rear. Havent busted it open to see. I bought a R200 3.90 Open to install a LSD into... but will need a 3.70 instead. Its really relative to a secret part of the project.

I have already removed the strut tower tops with zero intentions on putting them back lol. I am going twin turbo but zero intentions on popping wheelies. All 4 tires on the ground here! Its really a money pit for asthetics, but I wanted something not many others had. 600HP is the goal, and anything more than that is a blessing. Intentionally trying to be IFS/IRS.

The few folks that I've talked to, told me that I'm wasting my time, it wont work, and well... more motivation to do it. I'm contemplating between the speedway circle track arms, and customs.. I can have customs made for about 150 a piece.. Just need to source all my power steering rack pieces that I want as we move into making those.

Thanks guys! I'll try to give you guys some inside looks.. I've been reading, saving photos and links for this build for over a year.. Finally getting to put some to use. Planning to reattach the fenderwell to the factory rail with some thin bent sheetmetal into angle.. Steering connections will be a whole thing on its own. but, mainly focused on getting this drivers rail in, swapping the manual pedals into my dads car, and the auto pedals back in..

Which brings up another thing. Looking at making some floor mods to the tunnel near the pedals. anyone ever seen a hotrod/aftermarket pedal setup in a S30? i guess those super drift guys do it. Dont wanna spend an arm and a leg, but I guess I'll handle it when we get there.

Planning on the sy/ty setup. These arms, geometry, and QA1 setup I like. Still going to attempt at making it semi adjustable, but I figure as long as its on there... it'll work for me. I have a feeling this car will be rebuilt multiple times lol

Rear, I'm uncertan. Probably a standard coilover setup until more gets changed around back there. Car made it to the garage today!

post-47984-0-53817600-1445801239_thumb.jpg

post-47984-0-32565200-1445801550_thumb.jpg

Easley, SC is a ways from me.. but i can give em a call.. Austin Hoke is busy doing Hoke Performance things. I'm guessing hes a cool dude juding by the way people talk about him. He was responding to my first few emails, but after a while he seemed uninterested in my conversation.

I'm stationed at Bragg!