HybridZ

Amazing what a little jetting will do....

Since the fuel debacle and finally getting to drive the car again, I had several complaints form friends who said the car SMELLED rich. So Friday evening my girlfriends 12 year old and I jetted my carb down. I have a BG750 double pumper and it had 74s in the priomary side and 81s in the secondary. We swapped in some 72s on the main and 79s on the secondary and fattened up the adjusters a bit and got a super smooth 1200rpm idle. Later that night, after a birthday dinner, I decided to go for a little late evening prowl to see what I could run up against... I can now bark, not scratch, but hard bark fourth gear....I'm amazed. At will I snag fourth.... Crazy. The car accelerates so much faster, and I'm guessing I just found 50 or more HP... I have got to spend some more time tuning this beast!

Oh, and no one would run me...it was funny the looks I got from all the kids at the local cruise... it was priceless!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I'm glad to see that you are getting the bugs worked out. Does your BG750 have

equal size bores, and is it a mechanical

secondary unit? I am assuming that with your different jet sizes that your carb has a power valve? I had tons of probles with mine running to rich all the time and i changed main jets from 66 to 84 and never gould get it to run right.. turns out

I removed the 4 tiny air bleed jets and removed the power valve and changed all 4 main jets to 74 and it felt like i was

spraying 150 shot to it! I have since changed

my torque converter back to a stock unit and now will have to re-jet it again...

Congrats Mike!

I have to say that of all the things I'm going to have to do to make this swap happen the car jetting is the one I'm looking forward to the least! I've never tuned a carb before and most of the guys I know are also more at home with fuel injection. I'm not putting fuel injection on the car straight out becasue of cost and ebcasue I'd liek it to actually run first but the carb still worries me. I'm going to have the engine builder reccomend both a carb and an initial jetting but I sure hope I don't have to mess with it much!

The motor that's in it now has triple Webbers. Talk about over carbed! It runs rich, smells a bit of gas, and the throttle response is lousy due to the lack of vaccum. It's got just about all the problems I've always associated with carbs (sigh). I hope the new motor doesn't get delayed too long!

Mike, are you going to take the car to Woodbridge and dyno it? Some of the Mustang guys have been telling me very good things about that guy and they even had a 68 Mustang PEG the dyno not long ago! Whew, that's some serious HP and I think it might have been a street car.

Mike have you planned to get some dyno time for that car yet? I would think that it would be well worth it for the inital tuning. You've put so much into the car allready, it seems to make sense to me. Plus knowing your bhp would be nice too! Loved the feature article, car looks fantastic!

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest RON JONES

DYNO,the only way to tune in my opinion.I also liked the featured car article on Mike's car.Good job!

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited July 10, 2000).]

Yeah that article was really great. Mike, have you thought of applying with your car to zdriver.com, zcar.com etc for car of the month honours? Hell, I'd probably send some pics and info the way of a few magazines too... Show it off! smile.gif

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Yea, I'm gonna float the article around... Dyno TIme is planned for August. I absolutely want that car making the most "SAFE" HP i can get without getting lean or rich and Dyno Tuning is the only way to go!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk