HybridZ

Electrical gremlin

Okay so here's my problem, I recently got a new radio installed in my 75 280z, as soon as I had that installed my blinkers stopped working for the longest time (month or so)  as did my right brake light when pressing down on the brake pedal. But maybe less than 30 min ago they started to work again, then all of the sudden the tac stopped working as did fuel gauge. Like I noticed the voltage gauge showed the battery at a quarter charged then it would spike to full. 

What's happening to my Z? 

Edited by aquosman99

You likely have an intermittent connection or multiple suspect connections.  Buy a multimeter, learn to use it, learn how electrical circuits work and get testing.  Before that though, you could just do a visual inspection of your wiring near the radio, since it is the most likely cause.  Look for loose plugs or wires, broken/cut wires.

My question though is who installed your radio and why did you not immediately take it back and say WTF when you realized your blinkers didn't work?

You likely have an intermittent connection or multiple suspect connections.  Buy a multimeter, learn to use it, learn how electrical circuits work and get testing.  Before that though, you could just do a visual inspection of your wiring near the radio, since it is the most likely cause.  Look for loose plugs or wires, broken/cut wires.

My question though is who installed your radio and why did you not immediately take it back and say WTF when you realized your blinkers didn't work?

I had it installed at a local shop in my college town that has been around since the 80's and I would but I rarely have time to since I'm busy with school. When I do have the time it's usually late at night :( But I do plan on trying a multimeter to test it. Could it also have to do with a shorted fuse?

Fuses don't short, they are already shorted and they "blow" open.  Though, If a fuse blew, you wouldn't have gotten your blinkers back for no reason.  It could be a loose fuse terminal though which is just an example of an intermittent connection.  You can add that to the list of simple things to check first, all fuses in good condition and they should feel tight in the fuse holder on both ends.