HybridZ

Datsun 240z 2JZGTE swap help

beggs

Datsun 240z 2jz swap questions

I'm doing a Jdm 2jz swap to a Datsun 240z in the near future. Im stumped on a intercooler. I have no clue what intercooler to pick that will fit nicely with the bumper. Should i do the swap then measure for the FMIC? also just a FYI I'm also buying a drift motion 67mm single turbo kitZ

here are all the items I'm going to buy:

Tech 2 Motorsports 2jz swap kit and a plug and play harness

Fuel Pump

1000cc or 750cc injectors- (Do I need any bigger?)

Wilwood stage 3 brake kit

AEM EMS

New clutch

oil pump and a water pump

and a nice tune by UnderPressure Power and performance.

Would you recommend anything else? Another problem i ran into is i was wondering if the Datsun rear diff can handle the power I'm putting down?

If you reccommend I buy anything else everything helps! Thanks a ton.

You need to figure out how much power you want to make before you can get good answers to your questions.  It might be a good idea to fit the stock engine and components in first.  

The rear diff is really strong, you will not have issues with that unless you want to run faster than 12 second quarter miles.  Given that, you might have heard what 400rwhp Supras have in common with 800rwhp Supras?  Answer: 12 second quarter miles.

Yes. Short of a very custom intercooler you don't need to order them ahead of time. It will be up to you what you want to run and how much you want to cut it/modify the car and intercooler to make it fit. Also depends on the power level you expect to run. One you have the engine installed, take a tape measure, figure out your routing and order the one you think will serve your purposes. 

Datsun R200 can handle the power, the R180 you have probably won't be very happy for long, also it is open so thats going to be a lot of power going to one wheel. Half shafts, stub axle, stub axle flange, wheel studs, you are going to have to address all of these with the hp it seems like you are building for.

Really nice injectors don't have the problem any more, but big injectors are going to have a pretty poor spray characteristics for down low. What is your end game hp? What are you going to use this for? 1000cc should feed 900 hp pretty comfortably and 750cc would feed a high 600hp car, what are you building? A 67mm turbo is also pretty massive the precision one states it will support up to 930hp, that is going to require a lot of tire and quite a bit of reinforcement to the rear end if you plan on launching it. We had a forum member do something similar, I think it cost him 35k to put it together. These cars are fun with 150hp, 300hp and in stock configuration you start having issues with traction, 500hp and you are in pretty serious territory probably a better idea to swap in rear sub frames or axles, over that and it seems like an act of balancing insanity.

This will be my daily driver so 900hp isn't anywhere close to what i want. Im looking for a more 400-500 hp range. If you think the 67mm is too big what would you recommend? Since it'll be my daily i want to stay out of boost in low rpm.

I might go with something like this instead: http://www.driftmotion.com/2JZ-GTE-60-1-Turbo-Kit-p/dm1151.htm

Edited by beggs

I am looking for similar hp range and was told as far as Precision turbos go, the 6262 was what I would be looking for. I have not definitively decided on a turbo yet, but am looking at Precision, Garrett, Borg Warner or a billet, ball bearing option from a local company Pure Turbo.com.

...I am perplexed. How did you get to the size of your turbo and injectors without wanting to hit those kind of numbers? Are you copying someone's build? Pretty interested.

You could run 550cc injectors I think without problem, 600cc would give you a little more room on the upper end. 

A 60-1 is rated for 300-600hp depending on which company and which specs you go with. How the boost is going to feel is pretty important. If it makes 600 hp up top for the last 1000 rpm, it is going to be a bit of a handful. If it makes power over the whole rpm range it is going to feel a lot more different. Go look at some maps and see some dyno's and see if that is the kind of curve you are looking for. Even a relatively small CT26 turbo spools around 4k RPM so it should be easy to stay out of boost, but 400-600 in a daily is going to be a bit rough. 

Turbo choice is something you have to come to. A 60-1 will hit your power goals, not sure if that manifold will work with a cross over manifold so you may have to add a FFIM to the mix.

Depending on how well you can fab, the easiest option would be buying the ic from McKinney motorsports. They make one specifically for our cars.

For your turbo vs hp goals, check the new S300sx-e line from bw. The smallest one is more than capable of hitting your power goals. Your injectors are either too big or too small. If you're trying to go E85, go with a 1200cc ev14 type of injector. If you're sticking with 93oct, 600cc injectors would work.