HybridZ

Manual transmission options

Hi Z-car fans. I have a 78 280Z that I am collecting parts to do a V8 conversion and restoration on. I have a chevy motor called the L33 AKA the 5.3HO. This is an aluminum block LS based engine rated at 310HP and 335 foot pounds of torque. I am planning on using the installation kit from Johns Cars. I want to run a manual transmission in my car. I talked to Johns Cars and they suggested the T56 from a Camaro. I have not had any luck finding a used one in decent condition. I have seen a few on E-bay from C5 corvettes but I don't know if they will work in my application. Does anyone know what my options are?

thanks, skibumspence

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A T56 from a '98-02 Camaro or Firebird, or a GTO, (and maybe  CTS-V but I don't recall for sure) are your bolt in options.The T56 from the earlier camaro's with the LT1's have the wrong input shaft. The Corvette transmissions don't work either, they are set up with a torque tube. There is at least one Z on here runnig that torque tube set up, see Phantoms build or car. Some people are also fitting the TR6060, look for Crapforum's build.

There is also an option of fitting a tranny from a 350z to an LSx motor, but it involves buying an afttermarket bellhousing and cutting off the original bellhousing. Someone is working on this, but I havent seen an update from them in a while. Use the search and you shoud be able to find it.

The LS1 T56 is a hard to find item, which are getting harder to find and more expensive. They cost more than a complete LS1 in many cases. Keep an eye on LS1tech classifieds and they pop up for $1500-1800.

Search is your friend, there in no shortage of answers on this forum. most questions ahve been asked and aswered. Finding the right search terms can be the difference between success and frustration.

Edited by JoeK

Most of the T56s that my buddies have found used have needed total rebuilds.  You can buy a T56 or a T56 Magnum from Summit or Jegs new for the price of a used tranny plus a rebuild.  So why not start with a new unit?  Honestly, there is no reason to have a 6speed on a Datsun.  A 5 speed is plenty, and even a 4 speed can be fine.  Check out your options for a T-5.  I think a top-loader style internal linkage would be most desireable.  We use a 4-speed to 150mph and only need a 5 speed to go up to 175mph.  6th gear is just a gas mileage gear, and I never use it.  Do a little research with the old google and look at LS motors and old-school transmissions.  It is possible and likely cheaper.  I have a NV3500 5 speed out of an S10 4.3 truck hooked up to my 6.0 LS in my truck.  We used the clutch and pressure plate and hydraulic throwout bearing from a 2004 4.8 liter LS-equipped Silverado.  The T6060 has a crazy linkage and a weird slip yoke-I'd stay away from that if you can.

Edited by RebekahsZ

You can try browsing some mustang forums. I got mine off a 2007 saleen extreme mustang. They used an upgraded t56 that year for some reason, you just need to change the bell housing and offset lever from a camaro or firebird.

Plus most people on mustang forums don't want them, I got mine shipped for $1500. Bell housing was $176 and lever was $52.

• 1 month later...

Most of the T56s that my buddies have found used have needed total rebuilds.  You can buy a T56 or a T56 Magnum from Summit or Jegs new for the price of a used tranny plus a rebuild.  So why not start with a new unit?  Honestly, there is no reason to have a 6speed on a Datsun.  A 5 speed is plenty, and even a 4 speed can be fine.  Check out your options for a T-5.  I think a top-loader style internal linkage would be most desireable.  We use a 4-speed to 150mph and only need a 5 speed to go up to 175mph.  6th gear is just a gas mileage gear, and I never use it.  Do a little research with the old google and look at LS motors and old-school transmissions.  It is possible and likely cheaper.  I have a NV3500 5 speed out of an S10 4.3 truck hooked up to my 6.0 LS in my truck.  We used the clutch and pressure plate and hydraulic throwout bearing from a 2004 4.8 liter LS-equipped Silverado.  The T6060 has a crazy linkage and a weird slip yoke-I'd stay away from that if you can.

How do you think a nv3500 would do in a 260z?

never driven a nv3500 just allison, hense the question but i get the point. I'm just looking for options to the t56. People seem to think they are gold. And the cxracing ls swap kit won't work with the 4l60e that i currently have. The headers go straight into the trans pan.

how about a CD009 from the 06+ Nissan 350/370z? IIRC Collins adapters has a kit to put it on an LS block.  Might also look into a z31/32 5 speed box, they seem to hold up alright behind the turbo'd vh45s and several other swaps in the 300+ range.

++++ I think a new cd009 from courtesy nissan parts is something like $1700, just make sure to get the 06+ transmission if you go used as it has better synchros.

Edited by 1969honda

Agree with Keith for the most part. T56 is stupid heavy and 6th is useless. The stock World Class T5 is supposed to be weak also. Despite the weight, I'm running the T56. Adapters are available for Super T-10 4 speeds to LS engines, but you'll either need a 4 speed with overdrive (don't think they're easy to find) or really tall gears (definitely not easy to find for the Nissan diffs anyhow).

How do you think a nv3500 would do in a 260z?

I dunno. I enjoy driving my truck. I've auto crossed it and drag raced it. I tow my race car with it. It's not a bag of trash. It's fine. Folks complain about this tranny is notch or this tranny is sloppy. Until I have a full-throttle clutchless or sequential vertical gate shifter, I'm not gonna be happy. So everything is less than I want. I'm waiting on S1 Sequential to finish their shifter and I will probably blow $2-3,000 to try their shifter and probably having my spare tranny converted to a dog-box. I'm also hoping to have my .56 6th gear converted to something more like .75 if possible. So, while I dream of having the perfect gearbox, I'm obviously willing to settle for less in the meantime. Figure out what you want the car to do. Look up you're anticipated tire diameter, and look at available diff gear ratios: 3.90, 3.70, 3.54 and learn about the different ratios available in the trannies you would consider. For crying out loud, until the 80s, a hot car had an external-linkage 4-speed, and folks beat the snot out of them. Don't discount a Muncie or a Richmond or a Saginaw. With the right rear tires I can go 150mph with a 4-speed and 3.54 gears.

Edited by RebekahsZ

I think for now i'm gonna mount the engine and 4l60 and see if i can mod the headers and y pipe. If it works i will start a thread on what is needed just in case others wish to do the same. I know that in the future......like 5 or six years from now i will need to upgrade but for now i just want to stick with what i got. Budget wise.

These are pics of the cxracing exhaust and a 4l60. Pics are from the side and don't really show how much interference there is, the pan is probably about 1 1/2 inches in the way.

1209151519_HDR_zpsb9nicwbd.jpg

I'm sure someone has done this before me but I'm putting this trans behind a 5.3L LS in my 240z. Most of these parts can be found for good prices on ebay from race teams in nice shape. Won't be as driveable as a T56, but is lighter and will shift faster.

G-force GF4A 4 speed dogbox

Tilton 7.25" triple plate clutch converted to twin for drivability

Tilton rear mount starter bell housing

IMG_0116.jpg?t=1259224956

I used a built t56.  I paid 2k and that was a great deal.  Expect to pay that much.  Check out my build  if you want to see pics of how my set up is.  I have a MGW shifter, Ram lightened Billet flywheel and a RAM clutch.  All holding fine for now...... until I break something....

Nice. You dry sumping it also to take advantage of that smaller diameter bell housing and get that drivetrain lower in the chassis?

I'm up in the air really if I keep the Tilton bell housing and starter. I need to still buy a flywheel that cost $625 and a TOB that is $400 new from Tilton to mate it up to an LS. I was thinking of swapping out the bell housing to something larger that can accommodate a 168 tooth flywheel so I can use a OEM starter and I wont have to worry about trans tunnel clearance with the starter. 

Edited by JustinOlson

I think for now i'm gonna mount the engine and 4l60 and see if i can mod the headers and y pipe. If it works i will start a thread on what is needed just in case others wish to do the same. I know that in the future......like 5 or six years from now i will need to upgrade but for now i just want to stick with what i got. Budget wise.

These are pics of the cxracing exhaust and a 4l60. Pics are from the side and don't really show how much interference there is, the pan is probably about 1 1/2 inches in the way.

1209151519_HDR_zpsb9nicwbd.jpg

I ran long tubes from the group buy in my 240Z, I am running a 4L80E. We just modified the drivers side collector, that said your collector is much shorter than mine.