HybridZ

Custom ITB Idea, EFI quandary.

Midri

So I picked up a bunch (6) of 240sx throttle bodies for basically nothing and was playing with them when I realized I could chain them all together and use them as individual throttle bodies for an L28. Would need custom runners made with injection ports, but that's fairly easy to fab up... I could also maybe do 1 intake per 2 cylinders and use the 3x mikuni carb intake... That's all stuff we're going to play with...

My question to you smart people is how is the air metered in an EFI ITB? I've looked at a bunch of pictures and install guides and have not seen any indication of intake O2 sensors and obviously you can't use a MAF.

Edited by Midri

Generally a log manifold for  balancing is used, 1/2 inside diameter. Fuel Rail stock works nicely. Take  the MAP sensing off one end.

There is no reason MAF could not be used if the air filter box was properly set up and metered on the inlet.

The  RB26DETT used ITB's in a plenum surge  tank arrangement.

Two of those bodies on an SU Manifold has been done. Check Petes thread about it.

Would need custom runners made with injection ports, but that's fairly easy to fab up... 

Here's an interesting thread.  http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/55119-making-my-own-efi-intake-system/

Seems like you're interested in just piecing a bunch of parts together to see what happens (re your Mix and match thread).  Like a rat-rod, but instead a "rat-engine".  There's a lot more thought and design work that goes in to making something that works well.  Probably get some good WTF!'s when you're done though.  

Here are some good coments about just one 240SX TB - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/54029-240sx-throttle-body-on-a-280z-l28/

6x60= 360

Edited by NewZed

You're really thinking about putting six 60mm throttle bodies on a L6 engine? Are you serious or is this a troll post?

Serious, I've got them just sitting here... Why not try it? Engines not going to be left stock, obviously. Have headers on it now, looking getting one of my P79 heads worked on to increase airflow.

Edited by Midri

My question to you smart people is how is the air metered in an EFI ITB? I've looked at a bunch of pictures and install guides and have not seen any indication of intake O2 sensors and obviously you can't use a MAF.

Back to the original question.  You mentioned a MAF(Sensor) and O2 sensor.  Those two things do not serve the same function, one is quantity and one is air-fuel ratio.  One is before the combustion process, one is after.  One is on the intake system, one is on the exhaust.

You're in an interesting spot, knowledge-wise.  You write like you know, but hopefully, (for you) you don't spend the same way.  You should spend more time learning before you spend more money.