HybridZ

S30,Z31,Z32 hub/big brake conversion.

Hey guys,

New to the forum, but im getting ready to drop a lot of money into 260z here soon. trying to figure out a game plan so i dont end up buying parts cars i cant refund.

My questions have to do with hub/axle/differential conversions. I want to swap the R200 onto the 260z but was wondering if the width of stock axles from the 260 are the same size as the Z31 or if the Z31 axles are wider. I know i need 88' Z31 hubs to fit the Z32 brakes. I'm not really worried about offset and all that stuff. I have a top hat conversion for coilover suspension for the car and can adjust for it. my big thing is the easiest way of getting bigger brakes on the car. I want to know if its easier to swap the Z31 diff and axles to the car but i dont know if the axles let the hub line up with all the arms or if im going to have to buy adjustables. either way im swapping big brakes on the car regardless of how its done. rather not spend more money and time than i need to. so either entire Z31 rear end swap diff, axles, hubs, and the other tid bits, or R200 diff, stock axles (I know you have to swap the connections from the Z31 axles to the stock axles) 88' hubs and then the Z32 brakes.

As for the front end, I'm not real familiar with what all parts fit, and what doesn't. Is it possible to just swap out hubs, or do i have to do some craziness to get them to fit?? Also, can you wrap a 15" wheel around the front brakes? I assume you can for the rears because they are smaller but dont know what clearance is for the front Z32 brakes.

Thanks in advance.

Brake and axle questions are frequent.  Lots of good stuff in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) sub-forum.  http://forums.hybridz.org/forum/38-faqs/

There are two 260Z's - 240Z=like body and 280Z-like body.  Suspension and drivetrain parts vary depending on which you have.  And the other parts are a blend between the two models.

I figured it was pretty common question. I'll probably be using a lot of 280z parts as im getting a donor for the turbo engine swap. pretty sure almost everything that is a major on a th late model 280Z will fit on a 260z.was planning on just using the 260z and thats about it from that car. its going to be pretty much a full build.

pretty sure almost everything that is a major on a th late model 280Z will fit on a 260z.was planning on just using the 260z and thats about it from that car. its going to be pretty much a full build.

You missed my point.  It depends on which type of 260 you have.  And what you mean by "major":  Can't tell what those last few words above mean.  And the turbo engines come in 280ZX's.  Another completely different body design.  So if you're buying a 280ZX donor, the engine and drivetrain is about all you'll get out of it.

Your project.  You can research before you spend or after.  Cheaper and more effective to do it before.

And if you knew it was a common question, why ask it?  Doesn't make sense.  Just saying...

What month was your 260z produced??. This will help answer your questions. The early month models have the front turn signals below the bumper. these models use mostly 240z parts. The late model 260z has the turn signals next to the grill. These models use the 280z parts.

• 5 weeks later...

From one who helped doing this to a 260z.

Ours is a 11/74 model.

We did the TechnoToyTuning rear setup, Z32 brakes all around.

To do it over again the Toyota front calipers and maxima rear is the best bang for buck. Lots of write up on that here.

Enine swap comes to hp wants. Did the turbo 280zx added to our 260z block. Blew that up. Now second guessing should have done a ls1 V8 swap.

Good luck.