HybridZ

Stock Car Mafia's '78 280z LS2 Build

I can see the rim moving a little bit probably proportional to the tire wobble so I am sure this is due to the paint that is on my brake drums.  I'm swapping the tires for my stockers to see if the problem remains.  

You implied that you had the wheel mounted on top of the paint on the brake drums.  Generally, mounting surfaces should be clean flat metal.  Burrs, dirt, grease, grime, paint should all be removed.  I've been surprised that Nissan paints the flanges of the u-joint halfshafts.  I scrape it all off if any is chipped.

Tried to find a general internet reference and this popped up.  Copied an excerpt.  Lots of good stuff in the whole document, actually, even though it says it's for trucks and motorhomes.  Load is load, a high performance Z probably hits motorhome loads..

https://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/catalog/pdf/ServiceManual-English.pdf

post-8864-0-72339200-1468201191_thumb.png

Turns out I'm ready for the huge St. Paul car show this weekend.  It used to be Car Craft but they moved that to Milwaukee.  I'm not really a car show guy but there is quite a bit there to see.  

I failed to mention Katie and I took the car down through some windy back roads in SE MN a few weeks back. A DD kicked up a rock and cracked the windshield.  This is getting repaired while I am at work tomorrow.  

Other than that I'll post up the dyno stuff when I can.  I am taking a few nights off of car stuff!  It's been a long journey but I still couldn't be happier!

The dyno session was on Monday.  We got on at about 1:15 pm and it didn't take long for Shane to have the car dialed in.  It took him longer to delete all the emissions CEL's than anything.  

bramagedained showed up with his uncle so we we able to bullshit while they worked on the car.  

3556834c-63f3-4875-9618-5568912496de_zps

It's always nice to see two of them side by side.  

20160711_131107_zpsou9k4pf9.jpg

Overall I am happy with the tune.  The car actually idles now and no more limp mode!  Shane said the GTO computer is limited as far as access for air maping at idle compared to the Corvette computer.  The car still surges once or twice when decelerating.  

Here is one of the pulls on the dyno:  https://youtu.be/xVBwF6G-l7s

Datsun%20Dyno%20-%20HP%20and%20TQ_zpsf8h

Datsun%20Dyno%20-%20HP%20and%20AFR_zpsn4

Edited by Stock Car Mafia

Thanks man.  It is a damn blast for sure!  Now I'm back to the drawing board to see where to go next.  I don't think I'm done modding and will push painting back a little more.  This car is too much fun!

I failed to mention this was done on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.  It sounds like these are pretty comparable to Dynojets.  But I'm not all too concerned about numbers it sure feels good behind the steering wheel.

Looks great! When can we race? LS2 vs LS2. That would be a blast. It's interesting how our Dyno numbers differ. I guess all these machines are just approximate and depend on DA like everything else. IIRC, mine made 400hp at like 5600 and 435 tq at 4150. It would be fun to see how that worked out at the track. Let's do the Arkansas Mile next June or try to make the ZCON 2017. Maybe my POS won't be broken.

I believe I am just deaf sir.  But in all honesty, hearing it outside the car for the first time on the dyno....ya it is pretty damn loud.  

Overall I think we got lucky on the weather.  It was good to see your car again.  Hopefully your trip out east was a blast.  

Im still surprised you say that it isn't that loud inside.  It was really loud on the dyno.

It made me a lot more curious to see what my car actually makes. 

It was fun hanging out, too bad the weather took a dive towards the afternoon.

I remember you saying you don't remember what dyno you were on.  I am very interested in how you got your torque curve that fricken low!  I've seen most N/A LS motors are around 4800 rpm.  

What exactly did you build or do for your intake manifold?  I am wondering if that lets the motor breathe more in comparison to the absolute crap LS2 intake.  I know the 243 heads breathe pretty good stock.  I need to re-read your build thread and see what I can dig up.  

Looks great! When can we race? LS2 vs LS2. That would be a blast. It's interesting how our Dyno numbers differ. I guess all these machines are just approximate and depend on DA like everything else. IIRC, mine made 400hp at like 5600 and 435 tq at 4150. It would be fun to see how that worked out at the track. Let's do the Arkansas Mile next June or try to make the ZCON 2017. Maybe my POS won't be broken.

Watching the vintage cars race at Road America was great again this year.  Much nicer weather(it wasn't blisteringly hot this time) than last year.

Did you do any of the events at Street Machine over the weekend?

The MN Healey club has a hill climb event near Alma, WI(basically across the river from Wabasha) on Sept 23-25.  It's not in any way a serious event, but, it's a cheap fun weekend to close out summer.  It's open to anything more than 30 years old.

It looks like the heat wave will be this week so I'd count the weekend as a win.

No events for the car yet.  Need a rear sway bar and to tackle any remaining tire rubs and finish the quarterpanels.  The girlfriend and daughter were with so we only went part of Friday and part of Saturday.  There was a concert one night and Watertown's weekend celebration on Saturday so it was a packed weekend.

That hill climb sounds like something I'd definitely love to do.  I've been on those roads there a bunch on 2 wheels.  What exactly is the cource and do they utilize Black Hill Rd?  The one that is always covered in gravel.  

Watching the vintage cars race at Road America was great again this year.  Much nicer weather(it wasn't blisteringly hot this time) than last year.

Did you do any of the events at Street Machine over the weekend?

The MN Healey club has a hill climb event near Alma, WI(basically across the river from Wabasha) on Sept 23-25.  It's not in any way a serious event, but, it's a cheap fun weekend to close out summer.  It's open to anything more than 30 years old.

I don't know what tempted me to work in the 120 deg. heat index today but I put in a couple hours in the garage tonight.  Jesus even sitting still sweat rolls down your face.  

I went ahead and dropped the exhaust to get to the rear sway bar mounts.  It turns out after all of those heat cycles on the pipes, the nuts had loosened a bit.  I figured this would happen but I guess I was being lazy.  

Again I struggled with compressing the end links enough to get the nuts started.  I had the control arm jacked up and a ratchet strap to get them started.  

Snapchat-8801497931553472930_zps5dv4qttf

The exhaust clears just fine.  The driveshaft rear knuckle didn't....I would rub about 1/8" on 2 of the 4 corners.  I know this probably changes the balance a little bit but I ground down the material on all 4 corners.  It is not in a spot where I was removing strength just tabs that hang off.  I didn't take any good pics as it was getting dark.  

Holy moses does the car feel better while cornering!  The backend feels more stable and evened both sides out instead of both being independant.  I love it.  Now I might look into thicker bars down the road but don't want to get too off balance.

A couple nights ago I got a decent shot while cruising some back roads...

20160719_211536_zpsbood0uo0.jpg