HybridZ

Stock Car Mafia's '78 280z LS2 Build

So I've been staring at this god awful Datsun "engine room harness" for many weeks now.  I can't stand how shitty the fusable links and most of the harness looks so I finally pulled it.  I stared at the junction box for a good 5 minutes.  I didn't want to cut the wires just to get it out or chop up the box either.  The plug has two front facing clips that lock it in place, but on the back there are 4 clips that don't seem to be flexible enough to get the plug out.  My option was to take a razor blade and cut those 4 tabs off.  I circled the tabs I'm talking about in the picture below.

20160123_213253.2_zpskl3smitf.jpg

20160123_213323_zps9dwecuwe.jpg

I have yet to determine how to rework this harness.  Initial plans are to delete the transistor ignition unit and all associated wiring for the old motor.  The charging/ignition wiring will be run through the same location and I might run the lights/blinkers through the wheeel well so the engine bay isn't so cluttered with wiring.  I'm open for ideas!

20160123_214533_zpsblze518v.jpg

I am looking for any information on how to wire the mustang reverse light switch that I got.  I know that there are 2 green wires that run to my tranny for this.  I think that one is an input power wire and the other is an output to the lights.  Do I just power up the harness and test which wire has juice running to it?  

Is the tranny switch just an open/close switch or is this unidirectional?  

Edited by Stock Car Mafia

I will see if I could possibly test it before soldering the 2 prong connector on.  I didn't look at the plug but maybe it's simple to get them out and switched if need be.  

I am still having issues with getting my driveshaft in the tranny.  There are no visible burrs, or twists in the splines.  The shaft seems to be true as you spin it as well.  I'm not liking the possible problems I may be facing with this.  

I have a list I want to tackle before pulling the motor again to look at the tranny:

1. Route the engine harness wiring to passenger side.

2. Make a set of battery/start/alt. cables.  I don't know exactly what gauge wiring or ends to use for this yet.  

3. Wire my 2 fans relays.

4. Route fuel pump wiring.  Contemplating cutting and splicing into the stock wiring?  I'm not sure if this wire is run straight or through a oem relay.  Need to read more.

Would you consider getting another slip yoke to try?  At least that would prove if your current slip yoke is bad....

I ran my fuel pump power wire directly off the battery.  The switching wire was the yellow one off the LS computer.  I can't recall if that yellow wire is a gound or a power, but I used it to activate a fuel pump relay.  I didn't know what a relay was before my engine swap!

Edited by RebekahsZ

I know you suggested getting another slip yoke a while back to try.  I probably should just pick one up from Speedway and test it, and ship it back.

Jim's Performance did add a relay to the LS2 computer for the fuel pump, I just need to look at what color those wires are.  I honestly didn't know much about them either and still don't.  I see them as a door to complete a circuit that carries a good amount of current.  Wiring is kryptonite to me.  At least the green stuff. 

No work on the car as of late.  I'm not sure what I did, but I have killer back pain that's barely allowing me to sit.  I will be sourcing out material to make a set of battery cables today.   I can't allow myself to work on anything else until the electrical stuff is wrapped up.  I need to get this done to bear the fruit and it doesn't pay to push it off anymore.  

Still dealing with residual back pain but I have meandered out in to the garage for a bit here and there.  

I was able to get the LS2 gas pedal adapter plate spray painted.  This is the first time I have used the VHT roll bay and chassis paint but I really like the look of the satin black.  

20160201_062212_zpsumwyjear.jpg

The fender flares also did arrive.  They are great about communicating any updates and they also shipped quite fast.  Here is just a test fit for the rear flares.  They fit EXTREMELY WELL and are way better quality than the ones from The Z store.  I really can't wait to tackle the suspension and make this happen :)

20160201_180502_zpsn5v2pmbj.jpg

20160201_180539_zps8fanczrv.jpg

20160201_180534_zpsklgsbyzg.jpg

I've been spending way too much time still thinking about how to route the wiring.  I tend to over think things but hell I only wanna do it once!  The computer and fuse block are fulling mounted.  The wire loom for the fuse block was quite long so I spiralled it up and pushed it high enough and out of the way. 

20160131_184727_zpsmqv6xoir.jpg

20160131_190539_zps9dxwppjt.jpg

I chose to run the majority of the loose wiring along the wire holders for the antennae stereo wire.  

The following wires will run the width of the car to the passenger side:

- Engine harness 12 V power wire

- Fan 1 ground feed

- Fan 2 ground feed

These items will split from this routing and run up the steering column:

- Tach signal

- Speedo signal

- Engine harness switched power wire

I don't have the wires in front of me right now but the ODB2 port will need to be mounted as well.  I will have to see the best hidden spot to put this when the dash is back in.  

I put my OBD port between the passengers knees just sheet metal screwed to the bottom of the dash. You will need access to this port during tuning and trouble shooting and you will need somewhere to lay down your laptop. Your pedal bracket is beautiful! WAIT to do your flares till you have car on the ground at ride height with your ultimate suspension and the wheels/tired you plan to run. Leave room for suspension travel. Many guys mount them too low because they have the wheels off the ground when they mark.

For now the ODBII reader I have is bluetooth so it really can be put anywhere.  I would like it on the passenger side as you said though, as in my Mustang, the cord is usually strung across me to the computer in the passenger seat.  

Thanks for the kind words on the bracket!  I guess this is my redneck way of getting the job done, but I am pleased with how it turned out.  I do believe Hoke is coming out with more LS2 swap parts for these cars and his work is TOP NOTCH!  I wish I could have waited for this swap kit.  

I am for SURE waiting on the flares.  I just wanted to get them in so I don't have to wait for them to ship when I get to that point.  I for sure need to get my coilovers welded in, tires mounted, and then put on the car.  I would never do flares with it up in the air!  I want to see how the car sits with full weight first.  And still it may need to be drove a bit for the suspension to settle.  But the beautiful thing is the adjustability you get with the coilovers, so it can always be fine tuned.  

When is the next time that you'll be able to cross some more items off your list?  I would feel pretty terrible if you beat me to the flares but hell if I get there, anything I run in to I won't hesistate to let you know.  I have no problem helping but I have some gauges that need to be mounted and wired now ;)

Ha, I'm in the middle of a 2.5 week vacation in Cambodia of all places, on a beautiful secluded beach, and really looking forward to getting home and back to work on the car, haha

It's the itch we all get when we are away from our "loves".  I've done little things here and there, just nothing that really gets me closer to the end goal.  

I decided to paint the throttle body satin black.  The aluminum was looking a little worse for wear and I believe it will flow better closely matching the intake and then the 90 deg. elbow for the intake.  I used electrical tape to mask off the inlet as it was easier to mold and get a nice clean line on it.  I taked over the outlet and gently used a knife to cut out a rough circle.  The throttle body electrical plug was just taped off as close to the base as possible.

20160204_181632_zpsagndz6vo.jpg

20160204_182037_zpslgmfs0kf.jpg

20160204_182443_zpsmmr4rozf.jpg

I am pleased with the look and I don't think I will have to touch this up very often.  

20160205_104343_zpszdnkccd8.jpg

20160205_104633_zpsqjq0ftcl.jpg

When is the next time that you'll be able to cross some more items off your list?  I would feel pretty terrible if you beat me to the flares but hell if I get there, anything I run in to I won't hesistate to let you know.  I have no problem helping but I have some gauges that need to be mounted and wired now ;)

I've actually been behind in updating my thread here.  I've crossed a few more things off.

Though, I made the decision to abandon the 4.8 swap this winter.  I'd rather put a little money into the SBC and spend the rest of the budget on events this summer instead.

The flares will be done during my spring break which is the 5th-13th.

You're making more ground than I am at this point.  It's definitely the wiring that is turning me off.  haha

I say waiting for the 4.8 and turbo swap is a wise choice.  This will give you time to get your ducks in a row, collect information, and start digging for good deals on parts.  If you find a killer deal, the motor and stuff can slowly be collected through the summer.  I really have a feeling you'd be tempted to do it though if you had the parts!

Is your break in March?  I don't think I would get to my flares by then.  The whole suspension will be dropped once I get this engine swap done, so I'm not going to rush anything.  Btw, you should be happy with the flares!  They fit quite well!