HybridZ

Stock Car Mafia's '78 280z LS2 Build

Santa also delivered another early xmas gift!  It is the Champion 3 row radiator (CC634) and the Ledfoot aluminum shroud and 2, 12" fans.  I still don't have an overflow tank planned out and I'll more than likely plug the tranny cooler lines.  

20151210_195643_zpsn2api0gh.jpg

20151210_195906_zpsj41o7fqr.jpg

I'm really hoping I quit procrastinating and get my fuel system ironed out so I can order those parts.  Once I get the xmember tacked in, I'll drop the motor in to test fit again and look at any issues.  It'll get pulled out again, fully welded up, dropped back in, and I'll measure for the driveshaft then as well.

• Like 1

Looking good man.

Any chance you can get clearance pic, perhaps a measurement included of the front pulley to cross member or better yet, how low does the pulley hang down from the top surface of the oil pan ( i have the exact same oil pan as you). Making my own mounts and i got stupid and took engine apart and junked my harmonic balancer cause it was no good with out thinking about what is need to make my engine mounts.

Tried looking around for measurements or a good pic on the web, but nothing gives me a good reading. As of now i have my motor setting higher than it probably needs to be on the safe side since i dont have that measurement.

disepyon, here is your clearance picture!  These mounts are so low that the pan hits the steering mount brackets.  I still have to dremel more away.  But the pulley is about 15/16" to 1" away from the steering rack.  There is plenty of room there.

20151213_133245_zps36dm7a6i.jpg

Stopping to get a nice carbide bit was definitely helpful for opening the tranny tunnel holes.  I just kept working away until it fit nice up against the frame and still fit snug.  

20151211_191824_zpsymlxf4nz.jpg

I was able to round up some help for this weekend too!  It was a mix bag of workers and beer drinkers.  It's just nice to have some other people around to keep your mind off of personal crap that goes on in your life that you think way too much about!  

20151212_182840_zpsg9qzhnok.jpg

My brother wire brushed all the tunnel surfaces clean as I finish welding up the motor mounts.  

20151212_200634_zps3ecyjixm.jpg

After that we threw the motor and tranny in and test fitting the mount and it looks like it will all line up.  We took the motor out and started welding the mount in.  

20151212_200427_zpsvefwwlmd.jpg

After that long process of welding, cooling, welding, etc. we put the motor and tranny back in to button it all up.  The shifter sits about an inch lower than where I was thinking it was going to end up.  The crossmember is about as high as it can go.  I don't know if it will be a problem but the motor/tranny do angle down a little in the back.  

I put my buddy Ben on the task of solving how to get the damn steering shaft back on.  This literally took several hours to figure out the damn order to get it back in.  What it came down to is unbolting the whole steering column to pull it back and give room for getthing the shaft in, then throwing on the 2 spacers, bushing, and bolts.  WHAT A NIGHTMARE!  It should go smoother next time though, but it does take an extra set of hands and a jack stand in the car....

I was able to measure for a driveshaft (26" exact) and need to make a couple other measurements before I call it in.  I am starting to wonder if I should consider the Q45 swap and axles before I go any further...The damn R200 CLSD and axles are so incredibly hard to find that I don't know if it is worth the wait.  I'd really hate to spend months waiting for what may never come and not be able to rip on the car like I want to.

We also threw the radiator in last night and took a couple metal coat hangers and bent them for the rad hoses.  I need to get some rubber grommets to put on the bolts that secure the rad down to prevent any damage from vibration and twisting.  I am going to get some rubber caps as well for the heater core and water pump.  The tranny cooler lines need plugs as well.  I'll have to call them and see what size/thread pitch they are.  

The darn alternator still needs some trimming in order to clear the steering shaft knuckle and bolt.

I am probably going to send my harness in to Jim's performance and have him rework it all and delete what is not needed and reloom it all.  I just don't have to time to read for mind numbing hours on the topic.  I don't find it very entertaining and if I can get it back for $400 and just hook it up I am happy with that.

I also need to call a couple fuel cell companies tomorrow and see what is available for E85 compatability.  I really would like to have the option of going this route without spending more money down the road if I chose to.  Right now all I keep reading is aluminum tanks, foam, and most sending units don't hold up well against it when it sits for long periods, especially if it has been exposed to air/moisture.

And last but not least, I would like to find a good TIG welder to weld the V-bands on and start planning the intake tubing I will need.  I'll probably pick up an alunimized steel 3" builder kit from columbia river for the exhaust once the fuel system is figured out.  

I made a few phone calls today.  I found a welding company in a town nearby that will TIG weld the v-band on my header collectors.  I've emailed back and forth about 30 times today to get a driveshaft lined up for the car.  A 3" aluminum shaft with 1310 spicer sealed u-joints and a billet slip yoke for $580 from Driveshaft Shop.  He fudged up the first email back several weeks and didn't include the $100 cost of the yoke.  

I also made a Jeg's purchase today.  

- 15 gallon black powder-coated aluminum fuel cell (Jegs #555-15338)

- Billet 100-micron pre-pump fuel filter (Jegs #555-150005)

- Vibrant Performance 3" stainless steel V-bands x2 (Jegs #231-1491)

I am going to order the fuel lines, russell fittings, and so forth from Summit as they are cheaper on these items.  I just need the tank now to start fabbing my mounts.  I am hoping to make a fill neck and a flip down license plate so I can shave the gas cap off when I have the car painted.  Any advice on this would be great.  The v-bands are needed so I can have the shop take care of the headers so I can fab up the exhaust after the tank is mounted and driveshaft is in.  

I have plenty to do out in the garage but it seems I get out there and run out of things to do as I need parts!  I need to just sit, chill, and think out the project more...

Edited by Stock Car Mafia

disepyon, here is your clearance picture!  These mounts are so low that the pan hits the steering mount brackets.  I still have to dremel more away.  But the pulley is about 15/16" to 1" away from the steering rack.  There is plenty of room there.

20151213_133245_zps36dm7a6i.jpg

Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it. Maybe now ill reconsider the placement of my engine. Sucks that you have to cut the bracket. Was gonna suggest adding washers to you mounts to raise the motor up a bit, but forgot your using a different style mount, which im sure you already thought about.

Interested to see how your driveshaft from the driveshaft shop turns out. Same place i want to get mine from. 

Yeah I'm with you on wiring, I absolutely hate it. When I bought my ls1 it didnt come with a harness and i didnt feel like buying a used one to hack up and figure it all out so i went with wiring specialties. Pricey but worth it, so far it looks nice but havent had a chance to test fit it and wont know if it actually works for when its time to fire up the engine.

disepyon, I will let you know how the shaft turns out!  I think I talked to a Frank? (owner of DSS) and he's a busy guy but was able to take my order over the phone and said hopefully by the end of the month I should have it with the holidays coming up.  

I really was going to try my shot at the wiring but to be honest I run out of time at the end of each day and I was getting sick of pushing it back day by day.  Jim's Performance will be reworking my harness, deleting all the unnecessary wires, relooming it and labeling each wire.  I will still have to add my own relays for the fuel pump, fans, and main relay.  It doesn't sound too complicated.  Be sure to post up your harness work as you go!

I made a summit purchase today...I will post up my parts list at some point in time soon.  

The Jeg's tank is sitting at my door step at home, and I bought 24 ft. of 1" x 1" 12 gauge steel tubing from Discount Steel in Minneapolis.  They wanted to charge me over $50 for 3, 7 foot sections (cutting cost. etc.).  I figure I will whip my sawzall in the car tomorrow and cut it down when I pick it up tomorrow  :D

More updates to come.  This weekend should be a long one!

Stopped to get the headers tonight and the welds turned out pretty good!

20151217_183353_zpscytpwvzo.jpg

The welds had a little bit of drip through so I took my carbide bit to it to clean them up.  I also cleaned the primary tubes up more.  I am going up to Forest Lake to drop them off to get ceramic coated!  They are going to throw the 1800 deg. flat black coating on them.  I didn't want the ugly chromish looking coating and I'll have them back for $240 :)

20151217_183743_zpsmlyqqne6.jpg

20151217_183750_zps7ks0xz65.jpg

20151217_184721_zpsw1v6hcl4.jpg

Yesterday I was able to make a stop at Napa and see if I could find some rad hoses that would work.  I wanted to get the fans mounted and test fit them.  I bought some nice stainless flange bolts and nylon nuts for the fans.  Centered them by eye and drilled away.

20151219_212146_zpsj80ziuom.jpg

20151219_211853_zpsdufuk5xx.jpg

And of course the top radiator hose may work but the bottom is proving to be a pain in the ass.  I am going to need to trim and add a reducer to the top hose.  I might have to pick up a hose splicer from Jagsthatrun and make my own hose....

20151219_212410_zpspwptawlm.jpg

I am also wanting to flip the throttle body as the ear sticks out and I'd like to hide it.  Once flipped you can't get the bolts started as it hits the steam vent line.

I also spent about 30 minutes just starting at this plastic panel.  I could not for the life of me figure out how to get the damn thing out without breaking it!  Turns out there is a little plastic center plug that allows access to the bolt for the hatch shock.  Once my neighbor pointed that out I was golden!  

20151220_000735_zpsjtumablt.jpg

The liquid/vaper tank and all the hoses were easy to get at then.  You have to weasel the hoses out from the bottom and then around the side.  The gas cap filler neck has a security bolt that prevents you from getting the neck out.  I took the carbide bit to it and out she came!  I intend on getting a steel fill neck for the Jeg's tank and try to use the stock fill neck to route it behind the license plate.  I want to shave the gas tank flap, sidemarkers, and maybe some other stuff down the road. 

20151220_004047_zpszbkmu7gh.jpg

20151220_004106_zpsrmstsh3f.jpg

My buddy had to take his engine hoist back yesterday so I made a run to Harbor Freight to pick myself up a nicer 2 ton lift.  I cut away more plastic on the exhaust tube on the alt. and I believe I am good to go with it now. 

Here are a few things I am still brainstorming on:

- Trim Clips and Pins - I need to find a bulk pack of the pins!  Everytime you push them through to remove some interior they get lost or stuck in a spot you can't reach.  These have to be sold somewhere.

- Clutch MC - I've read that most have used the 7/8" MC but I do believe that Zzeal used a 3/4" with his LS2 and it was plenty.

- Fender Flares - Who makes a good set of plastic molded ones?  I got the fiber glass ones from TheZStore and ended up returning them because the fitment was pretty bad.

- Exhaust brackets - Will the rear stock exhaust bracket (and an similar mounted one on the passenger side for duals) be adequate for holding the exhaust up with the only other support being the V-Band at the header collector?  I may add another set of V-Bands around the front of the diff so I can drop the center section for driveshaft removal/tranny service.  

For better or worse, I supported the long section of tubing from the stock muffler hanger, the hanger toward the front of the diff and from the tranny crossmember. The long pipes have a flex section to allow for some misalignment. I have unsupported mid-pipes, then my headers. I wanted to put v-bands in to allow me to remove just the section under the diff, and I may still. But that would cost me some ground clearance (a v-band's worth). I also hope to support my mid-pipes, it just keeps getting pushed farther down the list by new business. Electric cutouts are on my list and I've even c-notched the frame rail and cut holes in the fender for them, but something else always screams for attention louder.

My car probably has 50# of pins in the closed cavities! I cut a moon-shaped section out of that plastic panel cause I'm always dropping my fuel tank for something and that strut prop is a PITA.

Most common size master is 7/8. 3/4 has been used a few times but your adjustment must be perfect. I use a 1" and the pedal is noticeably more firm, but I have lots of adjustment range in my adjuster. If you wanna do it once and be done-go 7/8".

Nobody's flares fit well. The Japanese versions are supposedly best. We all have to stretch them, twist them, sand them, etc. I looked into injection molding, and evidently the tooling is cost prohibitive. So fiberglass/carbon. Fiber is all we got.

Edited by RebekahsZ

This thread is quite amusing to read as we're basically doing the same thing, though I wont start on the LS swap probably until later this winter and it will stay NA for the coming summer.

Including flying from the twin cities across the country in June to buy our cars and chancing the drive home.  Though, I flew out to east coast.

There's this local FB group if you're not in it.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZoomZcar/

For better or worse, I supported the long section of tubing from the stock muffler hanger, the hanger toward the front of the diff and from the tranny crossmember. The long pipes have a flex section to allow for some misalignment. I have unsupported mid-pipes, then my headers. I wanted to put v-bands in to allow me to remove just the section under the diff, and I may still. But that would cost me some ground clearance (a v-band's worth). I also hope to support my mid-pipes, it just keeps getting pushed farther down the list by new business. Electric cutouts are on my list and I've even c-notched the frame rail and cut holes in the fender for them, but something else always screams for attention louder.

Man I hear you on the "list of priorities".  That's why they say it is a project car and it never will be finished!  I've been dreaming about engine bay/car painting with my painting buddies and brother (they got a degree in autobody).  I got some stainless works 5" hangars I am going to use for the back mount near the fuel cell.  Still undetermined (and need to measure) the bracket at the tranny x-member.  I do believe that would be enough support.  I haven't gotten any flex tubes either.

This thread is quite amusing to read as we're basically doing the same thing, though I wont start on the LS swap probably until later this winter and it will stay NA for the coming summer.

Including flying from the twin cities across the country in June to buy our cars and chancing the drive home.  Though, I flew out to east coast.

There's this local FB group if you're not in it.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZoomZcar/

Ha!  Hopefully I can bring some valuable information to the table for you so you can avoid all the mistakes and pains I had to go through!  What year car, engine, and drivetrain do you plan on going with?  I've been told to go to some of the ZOOM meets but I probably will get blasted by the purists!

My car probably has 50# of pins in the closed cavities! I cut a moon-shaped section out of that plastic panel cause I'm always dropping my fuel tank for something and that strut prop is a PITA.

Most common size master is 7/8. 3/4 has been used a few times but your adjustment must be perfect. I use a 1" and the pedal is noticeably more firm, but I have lots of adjustment range in my adjuster. If you wanna do it once and be done-go 7/8".

Nobody's flares fit well. The Japanese versions are supposedly best. We all have to stretch them, twist them, sand them, etc. I looked into injection molding, and evidently the tooling is cost prohibitive. So fiberglass/carbon. Fiber is all we got.

Man thank you for this info!  I took the roof trim piece off that houses the dome light and as I pushed them in I was thinking "Oh when I drop this panel I will find them"...Well there are body cavities that are up there and they are trapped!  I am going to get the air compressor out and blow those SUM biotches out.

I think my best bet would be going with the Tilton 7/8".  I've read a few topics on this and want to continue.  I have the remote speed bleeder and clutch line with a 90 deg. fitting and quick connect adapters squared away.  I will be ordering a Stage 3 Monster clutch and slave here shortly.

Well shnit...Here I was thinking there was a better option for flares!   Some of you guys must be really good at sanding and painting these because some look really darn good.

The Columbia River Mandrel ultimate builder kit is on the way for the exhaust.  I got an extra 8 ft. of straight tubing just to be safe and have more to screw up with.  I will probably weld an X-pipe out of the 2, 45 deg. bends by sawing off an inch from the elbow to make a 4" merge section.  I am going to throw the Dynamax race bullet mufflers on to cut down on some drone but still allow it to be loud as f%*k   :D   I got the Dynamax 4" angled stainless exhaust tips too.

Also the friendly people at O'Reilly's were kind enough to line me up with a few goodies.  I needed a new rear seal for the output on the tranny as mine has a slight tear and I know it will leak.  The guy also had some fuel cell strap insulation foam that I picked up for a couple bucks.  

I have to change oil on the daily tonight but I hope it doesn't stop me from farting around too much tonight.  The week days are always so tough...