HybridZ

Is This Serpentine Belt Routing Going To Work?

Zzeal

Is there a formula, or rule of thumb, about how much contact is needed between a 6 rib serpentine belt and an alternator pulley?

I've only got about 38 degree's of wrap around the pulley, but I've got very little electrical going on, just an electric water pump and cooling fan, which together draw 29 amps, and only intermittently. On a rare occasion I might use the headlights.

This is on an LS2, with the stock tensioner moved over from the passenger side. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, I'm in the middle of upgrading my radiator.

If you guys agree that this won't fly, then I'll maybe try a route from the top of the crank pulley to the top of the tensioner. The top of the belt would then barely clear the bottom of the water pump, and I don't know if these belts vibrate up and down a bit. Anybody know about serpentine belt harmonics?

Steve

post-3992-0-36428600-1446427706_thumb.jpg

post-3992-0-70321100-1446427777_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I would want more wrap. I assume you can't come off the crank & straight up to the tensioner? This would allow you to wrap around that idler after the tensioner & before the alternator giving much more wrap on the alternator. Since the crank pulley is so much larger the less wrap on the crank would not make much difference. The other way to get some more wrap would be to put a idler on that nice big upper alternator bolt.