HybridZ

What about a 3.6L Chevrolet V6 transplant?

djwarner

Just over a year ago, my wife was seriously injured when she was rear-ended in her 2012 Camaro Convertible. She was hit by a box truck, lost control and the car drifted of the right side of the road and hit a road sign. Virtually every body panel was damaged, but the engine department was intact.

We were reimbursed for the Camaro and it has sat in storage to preserve evidence ever since. It appears our case is heading to court but no new issues regarding the car have come up and the insurance company is asking to release the vehicle for salvage.

The point is that the vehicle only had 23K miles on it at the time of the collision and was in perfect running order. The engine is a 3.6L V6 putting out 330HP mated to a 6 speed automatic transmission with rear wheel drive.

We may have the option to buy out the insurance company or bid on it at the salvage auction.

Would this be a good candidate for a 240Z transplant? Not only is the drivetrain good, it would also include the electronics and wiring harnesses.

My 240Z Series I has a sound, rust free body and a freshly overhauled matching numbers engine and new VintageAir AC. Its only draw back is that it is also an automatic.

My gut is telling me to keep the Z intact, but there are other later Z bodies around.

What do you think?

GM used to be known for interchangeable parts.  Change the motor mounts and you could put almost any GM engine you wanted in any GM car.  Wouldn't be a surprise if the LS swap kit worked for the V6, since they're both factory options for the Camaro.  

• 2 weeks later...

Learned more about  the engine and got some pictures.

If I were to keep the Series I intact, which S30 would make the best the best transplant recipient from a rust/price standpoint?

BTW the LFX engine in the 2012 Camaro is a normally aspirated, variable valve timing, direct injected engine producing 323 HP. It only weighs 345lbs. Has an integral exhaust manifold in the heads and an integral cast oil pan. Transmission is an MYB-6L50 and weighs in at 187-198lbs.

It might be interesting to double the horsepower for about the same weight and doubling the number of transmission gears.

post-33470-0-55148900-1447535221_thumb.jpg

post-33470-0-27204100-1447535308_thumb.jpg

post-33470-0-73024700-1447535197_thumb.jpg

post-33470-0-99634900-1447535255_thumb.jpeg