HybridZ

Cracked thermostat housing in a bad spot tonight.

I was replacing the temperature switch on my 1976 280z tonight and I must have gone too far and cracked the housing. When I put everything back together there was some antifreeze squirting out around the sensor. I cleaned it up and found there was a hairline fracture :(

Is this a lot of work and time consuming to change? I have never done it before. I checked Motorsport and they do not even carry the part. I was thinking of sealing it with a gasket sealer but not sure if that would even work.

Any ideas?

Where to buy? Thanks

Not too much work, just two bolts holding the top half to the bottom, and two more to the head. Two gaskets, possibly sealer and anti-seize are required.

Honestly, most issues arise from the age of the parts. Sensor wires become brittle, terminal ends fatigue and poor coolant mixture leads to corrosion. You've already learned how the old aluminum seems to get brittle over time!

Post in the parts wanted section, plenty of these floating around. I may even have an extra... time to dig in the spares bin!

Repairing it will require a TIG welder. Surface sealers will only hit the outside of the crack, it won't get it all.

Changing it is just a couple of bolts where it connects to the head. and a gasket likely. Easy peasee?

I can send you a spare I have. Maybe check with whiteheadperformance to see if they have one first. Send me a picture of the front of yours (with the sensors) so I get the proper one. z240@shaw.ca will get me.

You might break some bolts off in the head, or in the thermostat housing itself.  Be careful and try to avoid that.  The bolts tend to rust in their holes from slight coolant leakage over the miles and get stuck tight.  I'd run the engine and get it nice and warm, then try to ease the bolts out.  A hot head and housing will expand the holes and give you the best shot.  

You might break some bolts off in the head, or in the thermostat housing itself. Be careful and try to avoid that. The bolts tend to rust in their holes from slight coolant leakage over the miles and get stuck tight. I'd run the engine and get it nice and warm, then try to ease the bolts out. A hot head and housing will expand the holes and give you the best shot.

+1, a few shots of PB blaster might be a good idea too. One little job turns into a big one if you break a bolt off in the head...

A new one is always nice, might as well change the thermostat too, and fresh coolant =)

Guess I didn't mind changing mine since the car was sitting for 10+ years anyways and half the housing had been eaten away from years of what i assume was crap water lol

It's not always the best way to fix it, but you can also braze the crack shut with a torch and some solder. remove the cap, heat the whole cap as it's cast, and braze in aluminum rod using lots of flux. Aluminum doesn't rust exactly, it tarnishes with a thin film of aluminum oxide. Then you'll likely need to chase the threads.  Install with a new gasket and it will likely hold just fine.  Your local welding shop should have some rod to fix it yourself, or you can have it welded.  It's not that hard.