HybridZ

S30 track car / HR swap

duragg

Jim at Turbo Toys in Tampa supplied the engine, trans, ecu, harness, running on a pallet.

He was superb.  Totally stood by everything he did. 

I think the actual wiring was done by Martin at RS Enthalpy.

Here is another exclusive for my Hybridz brothers:  https://youtu.be/yGfc3N5uVfg

And now that it runs, time to pull it all back out again again  lol

Well let's see... Chassis welding done to give more room for headers and front cross member for oil pan. Some brake lines moved and heat wrapped to shield from the headers. Closed off the last of the water passages and mounted a 2nd H20 temp sensor. Should have motor back in this weekend and get to drive. Exhaust fab is Tuesday and Dyno tuning at UMSTuning is Wednesday. Then compliance Dyno Saturday. I will be on track at Chuckwalla exactly 2 weeks from today.

post-1894-0-52995400-1454075608_thumb.jpeg

Brought in a ringer for welding one fitting shut.

post-1894-0-04603900-1454075657_thumb.jpeg

Removed fitting, tapped and installed CTS-2

post-1894-0-14968000-1454075680_thumb.jpeg

post-1894-0-40139800-1454075747_thumb.jpeg

post-1894-0-14905200-1454075778_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Love that VQ35HR.  There really isn't any RPM from 2500 to 7500 that it isn't pulling like a freight train.

I ran both races at part-throttle and all in 5th gear just to shake the car out.

Need to beef up the springs to prevent getting into 1st / 2nd gear and do some other tweaks before the next race.

post-1894-0-14343600-1455555916_thumb.jpg

Steering is a little stiff in the paddock but not too bad.

I've considered installing the electric assist rack... Maybe this summer.

Yes stock engine with Osiris for tuning and intake / exhaust. All the accessories are removed as well of course. We topped out at 314whp and 276 Tq I think. Next goal is to get the e-throttle control to work so we can reduce power for classing reasons to 240whp.

17x9 have more tire choices and ground clearance

Hah well see the dam thing makes my target 240whp at something like 4500rpm!   In our racing class we are defined by a simple formula of Weight / Horsepower (average).  I want to be in the class with 10lbs / hp and with a 2400lb car I need to average 240hp.    NASA St3.

Most cars have a relatively peaky power band, making lets say 200hp at 4500, 235 and 5500, 260hp at 6500 and 235 at 7500 (imagine for grins this averages to 240hp).

But if you have another identical car that makes 240hp at 4500 and at 5500 and at 6500 and at 7500 you are maximizing the "Power under the curve" and all the guys that do this are just plain faster (not only for reasons just related to hp of course, but the idea stands).

And so that is where the desire for a giant engine with a de-rated power band comes from.  Just this year they made a new rule to address the advantages of this type of setup so therefore it must be a competitive advantage lol.

Tj

• 1 month later...

And so that is where the desire for a giant engine with a de-rated power band comes from.  Just this year they made a new rule to address the advantages of this type of setup so therefore it must be a competitive advantage lol.

Whats the rule? I've been building a Z31 track car for a while with a focus on getting my nasa license for ST classes and taking it drifting occasionally as well. 

~Alex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to Mack at McKinney Motorsports for getting the custom headers to me.

They look WAY better than I anticipated.

I pretty much now have all the physical parts to do the final mockup then weld down the mounts, close up the X-member and finish wiring and plumbing. But Christmas... So probably running some time in January and on track in Q1 of 2016.

Headers.. Then an X pipe and single 3"? Not sure what to do yet. Since I will be taking a 300whp motor and detuning to 245whp the design of exhaust just needs to be light.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

May I ask you what those headers costs you.  They looks very well crafted.  I am in the process doing a VQ swap as well.  BTW nice project, I really like how the engine harness has a separate plug at the firewall.

Edited by Thanh