HybridZ

S30 track car / HR swap

duragg

• 3 weeks later...

They are McKinney Motorsport Headers and I think they are $1800ish. Makes for a tight fit.

There would be no shame in using the stock headers with adjusted outlet angle.

Do you feel a major difference from the stock headers or did you always run this setup from the beginning?

Edited by Thanh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Went back to the dyno with the new ECU which now talks to the AIM Solo track data system. On a mild safe tune we got to 309 whp or so on the Dynapak at UMS Tuning.

But since my classing legal max is about 240whp we made another tune where the power is reduced as soon at 240whp is achieved (5000rpm) and then it's a flat 240hp to redline.

The next day it went to a facility with a Dynojet to get the required classing dyno check and the numbers were a direct match.

So... $500 bucks later I went from 309hp to 240hp and I was happy. Funny how the world works

I like a track without walls, trees or Armco. Looks like a lot of fun.

How are you liking the 4.375 diff?

What I could see from the track website, it looked like the straights were long enough so that you could top out in all but 5th pretty quick.

The most I can run is a 23" tall tire so I swap out either the 4.44 or 4.375 which we run on short/hilly tracks to the 4.11 for longs ones like The Glen.  Engine makes power between 4000-6700rpm so I can do a major portion of the smaller tracks in third that have short straights leading into slow corners.

Haven't had the car on the dyno in a while but we estimating about the 220-240rwhp & similar torque numbers @2209 lbs wet, no driver.

Edited by gnosez

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I think my bill with Jim was around $5000 all in.

But that included everything.  Full longblock with all accessories, engine, trans, computer, wire harness, throttle and the computer and wire harness hacks to make it all work.

Definitely worth it.

The tranny he sent was damaged in shipping and he sent another.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Leon said:

Really enjoyed the write up in this month's issue of NASA Speed News, great work Tom!

https://drivenasa.cld.bz/NASA-Speed-News-Volume-7-Issue-1-February/70/

Yea!!  Thanks Leon.  They really did a great article.  I thought it was going to be one single paragraph but dang!

Bret Becker was the author, great dude.  He told me there are so many M3s and Corvettes in NASA they are stoked to see something different and unique.

Heading to Chuckwalla this weekend 2-17-18 and 2-18-18 for another NASA race.

Tj

Agreed, it's been really fun to see you develop this car as well as run it with NASA. That's what those race classes are all about, pick a chassis and have fun with it instead of "last year's winner drove an M3 so I'm building an M3".

I run TT (not in a Z, I'm not brave enough) with NASA but looking to get into W2W, if not this year then 2019. Hoping to also run the 25 Hour next year...

Good luck in Chuckwalla!