HybridZ
duragg

S30 track car / HR swap

duragg    18

Steering is a little stiff in the paddock but not too bad.

I've considered installing the electric assist rack... Maybe this summer.

Yes stock engine with Osiris for tuning and intake / exhaust. All the accessories are removed as well of course. We topped out at 314whp and 276 Tq I think. Next goal is to get the e-throttle control to work so we can reduce power for classing reasons to 240whp.

17x9 have more tire choices and ground clearance

duragg    18

Hah well see the dam thing makes my target 240whp at something like 4500rpm!   In our racing class we are defined by a simple formula of Weight / Horsepower (average).  I want to be in the class with 10lbs / hp and with a 2400lb car I need to average 240hp.    NASA St3.

Most cars have a relatively peaky power band, making lets say 200hp at 4500, 235 and 5500, 260hp at 6500 and 235 at 7500 (imagine for grins this averages to 240hp).

But if you have another identical car that makes 240hp at 4500 and at 5500 and at 6500 and at 7500 you are maximizing the "Power under the curve" and all the guys that do this are just plain faster (not only for reasons just related to hp of course, but the idea stands).

And so that is where the desire for a giant engine with a de-rated power band comes from.  Just this year they made a new rule to address the advantages of this type of setup so therefore it must be a competitive advantage lol.

Tj

Alex_V    10

And so that is where the desire for a giant engine with a de-rated power band comes from.  Just this year they made a new rule to address the advantages of this type of setup so therefore it must be a competitive advantage lol.

Whats the rule? I've been building a Z31 track car for a while with a focus on getting my nasa license for ST classes and taking it drifting occasionally as well. 

~Alex

Thanh    10

Big thanks to Mack at McKinney Motorsports for getting the custom headers to me.

They look WAY better than I anticipated.

I pretty much now have all the physical parts to do the final mockup then weld down the mounts, close up the X-member and finish wiring and plumbing. But Christmas... So probably running some time in January and on track in Q1 of 2016.

Headers.. Then an X pipe and single 3"? Not sure what to do yet. Since I will be taking a 300whp motor and detuning to 245whp the design of exhaust just needs to be light.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

May I ask you what those headers costs you.  They looks very well crafted.  I am in the process doing a VQ swap as well.  BTW nice project, I really like how the engine harness has a separate plug at the firewall.

Edited by Thanh

Thanh    10

They are McKinney Motorsport Headers and I think they are $1800ish. Makes for a tight fit.

There would be no shame in using the stock headers with adjusted outlet angle.

Do you feel a major difference from the stock headers or did you always run this setup from the beginning?

Edited by Thanh

duragg    18

Note for the database.

The G35 ECU for Vq35HR will not talk to an AIM Dash or AIM SOLODL datalogger.

You need the 350Z ECU to talk to AIM products. 

No biggie, unless you spend a whole day trying to convince them to work.

Tom

duragg    18

Went back to the dyno with the new ECU which now talks to the AIM Solo track data system. On a mild safe tune we got to 309 whp or so on the Dynapak at UMS Tuning.

But since my classing legal max is about 240whp we made another tune where the power is reduced as soon at 240whp is achieved (5000rpm) and then it's a flat 240hp to redline.

The next day it went to a facility with a Dynojet to get the required classing dyno check and the numbers were a direct match.

So... $500 bucks later I went from 309hp to 240hp and I was happy. Funny how the world works

gnosez    4

I like a track without walls, trees or Armco. Looks like a lot of fun.

How are you liking the 4.375 diff?

What I could see from the track website, it looked like the straights were long enough so that you could top out in all but 5th pretty quick.

gnosez    4

The most I can run is a 23" tall tire so I swap out either the 4.44 or 4.375 which we run on short/hilly tracks to the 4.11 for longs ones like The Glen.  Engine makes power between 4000-6700rpm so I can do a major portion of the smaller tracks in third that have short straights leading into slow corners.

Haven't had the car on the dyno in a while but we estimating about the 220-240rwhp & similar torque numbers @2209 lbs wet, no driver.

Edited by gnosez