HybridZ

240Z LS swap : Anyone using the batwing pan?

Just being a little lazy. I dont want to pull my engine right now as I'm fabbing the turbo system. Is anyone using the bat wing (C5) oil pan? Depth is only 4.5" but I', concerned it will hit where the LCA's attacj to the body. It will be close.

52.jpg

Edited by Ryan Merrill

I would be concerned about header clearance, especially on driver's side. But it would be great to be able to use it because of clearance. the corvette C6 ls2/ls3 oilpan seems to be a good compromise since it's 3/4" shallower than the Fbody oil pan. The problem is that they're $350 and up

Take a look here for dimensions:  https://www.improvedracing.com/tech/LS-oil-pan-dimensions.php

I would be concerned about header clearance, especially on driver's side. But it would be great to be able to use it because of clearance. the corvette C6 ls2/ls3 oilpan seems to be a good compromise since it's 3/4" shallower than the Fbody oil pan. The problem is that they're $350 and up

Take a look here for dimensions:  https://www.improvedracing.com/tech/LS-oil-pan-dimensions.php

No headers, no problem. :) I already have the pan.

12122397_10153605700910470_4754728453233

Edited by Ryan Merrill

Just a thought here. What if you ran the batwing pan pickup and shortened the LS3 pan? I used an fbody pickup and took 1.25 inches from the ls3 pan and still have just over an 8 quart system still

Too much work lol. besides I already have the C5 pan

My LS1 pan sits pretty level with X-member..... exhaust is my lowest point on the car. 

That another option for sure. I know a few pans will fit, just trying to use what I have.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine had and LS with the JCI kit and we built a brace that turned the standard crossmember into a k-member.  This was made from 1 inch 0.095 square tube and had 14 gauge sheet metal welded

to it forming a skid plate for the pan.  On more than one occasion it took a hit big enough that would have probably cracked or damaged the pan enough to ruin a weekend of racing.  If you look closely on the attached picture you can see it.

post-543-0-45202500-1449010114_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So it sounds to me like the best case scenario for oils pans is a ls2 or ls3 corvette pan. Is either one of these two better than the other? And do I need to get the pickup tube and windage tray from the same vehicle. I will be purchasing very soon so I can get started on the motor install :).

• 2 months later...