HybridZ

81 280zx 350 vortec carb 700r4 conversion

• 1 month later...

Okay, so something happened to my post, so I'll try again.

I want to talk about my build and my experience so far, and if any of this applies to you, your mileage may vary.

To start, I've always wanted a z-car.  Since I was 18 or so, I got to take one for a drive and it was impressive the way it drove and handled for an older car.  Now that I'm older I can get what I want,  I am still limited by time and money, both of which are in short supply.  I had a lot of expectations that were very wrong.  I am posting this for two reasons: First I like talking about myself.  Secondly, I don't want anybody to make the same mistakes. 

My initial expectations:

1: This would be easy

2: This would be cheap

3: There would be a clear set of instructions

4: This would be done quickly

So I was able to pick up an '81zx for about $900, it had some engine issues so long story short, I pulled the engine and xmsn and sold them on craigslist for $700.  I had to replace the hood ($40 craigslist), radiator ($100 aluminum black friday special), mirrors ($30 fleabay).  I had a copy of the v8z conversion manual from stealth conversions and planned my build based on the manual.  This manual is awesome and has a lot of information.  It does not cover the zx though.  I figured this out when I went to order the motor mounts ($260).  Now this might have been easier for some folks, I don't have the most mechanical experience.  I know how to turn a wrench, change my oil and fix my brakes.  This has taught me a lot.  So I scored a complete 350 w/accessories from a junkyard, 5.7l vortec block for $100 ($200 after enviromental fees and taxes).  Pulled the pan, intake and heads.  Everything checked out okay, replaced gaskets and head bolts(~$150), and got an edelbrock intake ($50 offerup).  I replaced the harmonic balancer ($70) and crank pulley ($25 fleabay) based on the conversion manual.  Later I got a 700r4 for $150 from craigslist.  I'm in the process of rebuilding it. More on this later.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, Citadel!

Mixture of anecdote and experience suggest that the two greatest pitfalls of the Datsun V8 swap are (1) starting with a woefully rusty/dilapidated car, thus having to do a restoration concomitantly with the swap, and (2) the "while I'm at it" syndrome, which is a ceaseless pursuit of "improvements" that preclude timely finishing of the project.  Both causes will quickly derail even the most steadfast intentions, turning months-long projects into multi-decade (or perpetual) efforts.

It sounds like you've avoided the first pitfall, by starting with a workable baseline vehicle, which might need the usual shocks/bushings/brakes renewal, but nothing drastic.  Now you may wish to consider whether there's some means of getting the engine to run, before proceeding with the installation, for example on a dyno.  This will forestall all sorts of nasty headaches later, such as weird oil leaks that are difficult to chase down, or engine assembly-errors that might require removing the engine again.

Do you really need to rebuild the transmission?  That sounds like a chore, and a perfidious opportunity to get frustrated.  Perhaps it would be better (if nominally more expensive) to buy an already functioning transmission?

Regardless, best of luck, and please keep us posted.