HybridZ

Performance help 1983 280z n/a coupe

83_280z_coupe

Hi I recently bought a '83 Datsun 280z coupe, I like the car but not happy with the performance on it I've read many forums but none have seen to really explain what they've bought. I'm having trouble finding parts. I'd live to put a camshaft (nothing too radical), an exhaust (2.5" or 3" not sure what's better for non-turbo) better fuel system, gearing in the rear, and ignition. I have not been able to locate any after market parts and I need help with this. Also how does coil overs do with this car and who sells them? Thanks guys any help would be appreciated! :)

Hello and welcome to hybridz! Most guys on here avoid this type of question like the plague and tell you to use the search button and all that jazz but just because they have been over it a million times. If you just street drive it make sure all stock components are fresh and working then look into a header and 2.5" exhaust. possibly a hotter coil and gap your plugs to like 40-45 see how it likes that and as far as induction goes get yourself a replacement k&n filter and make sure the rubber boot coming from the afm to the throttle body is NOT cracked!! Check all rubber hose vaccumm lines get a new fuel filter. A good tune up will go along way if your inclined check your timing. If everything is right and you still need more power you will have to go carbs or aftermarket ems like megasquirt or similar ecu. My 83 still scares me on occasion but i went the turbo route and aftermarket ecu. Its all up to you how much is enough and how much your wallet or wife can take you spending. My honest 2ct though is suspension/brakes first then add power! Look into the tokico hpk255 kit im running them and love it much better handling than stock and if you shop around you can get the whole kit (4 shocks and 4 springs) shipped under 400 bucks. best of luck.

• 8 months later...

There is plenty to do and none require an aftermarket ecu.. You can tune the stock ecu, although nobody does, but my team. Header, exhaust, intake, and different heads. Cam is ok for now, stock distributor is also, you can get a good coil, msd 6 box, wires and a good fuel pump. Let me know what you would like to do first and I can give you some more advice and prices, that is not out dated.