HybridZ

Exhaust header solutions?

I was looking at the types of headers available for the LS1 in a datsun s30 chassis. Basically what I have gathered is that you have Johns Cars, Jags that run (sanderson), and CX racing... now all of these run $350+.. I was looking at some other "generic" header sets on summit, and other places and was wondering if anyone has figured out what fits and what doesn't... are there any OEM headers that fit? 

Hi Chris,

Good question...We have been installing LS series engines in the S30 chassis for over 14 years now.  With that being said, more information is needed to give you a proper reply.  First, what engine mounts are you using?  Is this a 240, 260, or a 280z?  All of these are included in the s30 chassis, but each very different when it comes to floor pans.  Search "Best spark plug wire" or "Burning spark plug wires".  These two searches will open up a great amount of insight and frustrations!  Search "Long tube headers".  This search will expose the lack of information we've had over the years about floor pan difference with each model.   What starter is being used, how long is it,  and bell housing!  I have the John's car set up.  If I didn't live in California,  I would have purchased his headers simply because they fit better then the Sandersons.  Because of this,  Sandersons were the most logical choice.  I still haven't found the "perfect fit plug wires" without some burning issues.  Long tub headers were out at the time I was making my decisions, but they only fit the 280z floor pans, with a shorter starter, ETC!!!  So you need to answer the questions about your build.  Once that is accomplished,  this website is full of fantastic, knowledgeable individuals that are willing to lend help and or advice.  We too have learned the same way, by trial and err.

Edited by Old Man

I still haven't found the "perfect fit plug wires" without some burning issues.  Long tub headers were out at the time I was making my decisions, but they only fit the 280z floor pans, with a shorter starter, ETC!!!  So you need to answer the questions about your build.  Once that is accomplished,  this website is full of fantastic, knowledgeable individuals that are willing to lend help and or advice.  We too have learned the same way, by trial and err.

I, too, am using the JTR headers and while I have not found the perfect plug wire, I did find that if I use the 2003 (?) GTO or the MSD adjustable plugs wires along with the stock aluminum head shielding tubes that I am not longer burning wires like I used to.  I've had this setup for around 7k miles without issue.  I would normally find that my wires were toast by around 2k miles.  You still get contact between the aluminum tubes and the headers, and you'll have to slightly "dent" one for clearance, but its better than running just the wires.  I tried everything: aluminized heat shielding, the "fabric" heat shielding, etc. and nothing worked.  The aluminum tube helps to more evenly distribute the heat and reduces the effect of creating a point contact hot spot......at least taht is my theory

• 2 weeks later...

I have John's Car (JCI) headers with an LS in a 240z.  They fit great and have never burned a wire.  I wrapped them and would do it again but even with no wrap there's pleanty of clearance between the OEM LS plug wires, starter etc. so I doubt there would be an issue. 

I highly recommend JCI headers and supporting a great guy like John. 

On the other hand, if you're trying to squeeze every ounce of power from the engine, perhaps add more torque or trying to match headers to non-JCI mounts then all bets are off.

post-25803-0-39735800-1449119960_thumb.jpg

I have JTR headers, which I chose ignorantly only because they came ceramic coated. Then I had to modify and have them re-coated. So that was kind of a bust. If I were to do it again, I think I would do the JCI header just as you have. I would have them coated after all the mods that I would do, like the ball-flange and test ports. It looks like maybe the JCI flange may be thinner, but I don't know if that would matter. The only reason I would go with a long-tube like the Hawks header is if I was trying to do an all-out high-rpm cammed-out n/a power plant as limited by a racing class (which I may do someday). Component clearance, ground clearance, under hood heat and ease of installation are real-life issues that really favor the JCI header. I'm considering a novel (dry weather race setup only) turbo placement in the rear of the fender well at some point, and the JCI header may be the style I use.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Where did you get the sleeving from ?

DEI makes the heat socks.  Just Google "DEI plug wire socks".  

I was torn between JCI an JTR, but opted for the JTR primarily due to the larger primaries.  I was going to buy a header and did not want to limit myself at the time.  Now that I've found a solution with the heat shields, I am happy I went with the JTR (Sanderson) headers, but if I were to do it again knowing where I am today, I probably would have gone with the JCI.  I also would change out the damn exhaust flange for a V-band or ball setup.  Changing those damn gaskets majorly sucks.

Edited by ktm

• 10 months later...

not to revive the dead here, got a simple stupid question that just cant get a definitive yes or no answer on

2005 lm7 5.3L- will the stock exhaust manifolds work in a 76' 280z? yes or no?

No one as put up a simple yes or no answer, or tried it (that I can find.)

What do the cali guys do for exhaust if they cant run the swap kit headers???

Need to do the cheapest fastest, get it running, power don't matter 5.3/4l60e swap. Kinda in a pinch. Saving the 300$ on headers would really help if I can get by with the stockers for awhile.

Sorry for the noob question, just need the short and simple answer fast.  Thanks guys