HybridZ

'79 was running, now no crank, no start

Connor280ZX

The car is all original including being all stock in every way w/5speed. We recently got the car running after sitting for a year. We went to drive it the weekend after, and it wouldn't crank. Just a bunch of clicking of the relays.

We were told that the starter/starter solenoid was bad, so we replaced that and unfortunately no change. Tried two different IGN switches, two different batteries and terminals. Everything else is working, all the accessory lights and fuel pump work it just wont crank. All of the fuselinks seems to be good, but we replaced them anyway and still no change. 

Don't want to try and roll start it because the driveway is on the top of a hill, so if it doesn't start we're F***ed six ways from sunday... Is there something else besides the switch and the solenoid on the starter in the circuit that might have gone bad?

Put the gears in neutral, turn the key On, and short the small spade on the starter solenoid to the big cable from the battery, at the starter, using a wrench or screwdriver.  That will power the starter with about the most energy available possible.  If it starts, you'll know it's not the starter or battery or cables.  And you'll have a fail-safe method while you try to figure it out.

Make sure it's in neutral since you'll be bypassing any safety mechanisms.  There will be some sparks, just hold it there while the engine spins.  You can also use a length of wire from the solenoid spade to the battery + terminal.

If you want to go one step further, measure voltage at the coil when you turn the key On to make sure it has the potential to start.

• 6 months later...

how about the MAF? 

I just got my datsun couple days ago. And I have gotten a new batteries. When I start the car, it does not crank. Im not sure why, this is a project car and it is kind of like in a bad condition. 

I Have brought a new MAF and clear the throttle body, and I spray some start fluid. It does start. But there is not cranking noise.