HybridZ

Stony's Unnatural Aspiration Part 4!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Got it to the track. Had some glitches mainly converter wont get on boost with trans brake. Gonna get it restalled. Best pass was a 11.1 at 129. which with the weight of the car comes in right about 470whp. was only running 7-8 PSI.  cant weight to double that Boost number. specially since the 480 is still pretty much a sleep at 9 psi.

Yea RMR. Next trip will be the AUG 5th midnights. My stall issues may have been from a wastegate with too low of a spring and it was creeping open while I was trying to get on the stall. I put a 12 lb spring and it seem to come up a lot quicker and I'm getting more RPM. So maybe now we can go back to playing with the tune to get it to stall quicker.

• 1 month later...

Dont post much here anymore. But car is doing well. We got the boost issues worked out and to date havent broke anything. PB et so far is 9.06 @ 151. And best mph is 154. Not as fast as the Rb yet but its coming along. If you want to see video check out my unnatural Aspiration page on facebook. Cant seen to figure out how to post a link here anymore :-(

Looking great. Were just boosted a friend JY 5.3. He has a T6 BW S480, LS1 intake, Stock, LS6 intake, Z06 cam, Chinese head stud, Meth, oem head gaskets and valve springs from the supercharged camaro. At 18 PSI it made 688 WHP through a Th400. The car was shut down at 5500 RPM because he is just learning to tun his Holley system. Should pull to 6500. So a solid 700 whp car on pump gas

• 1 month later...

Well after a lot of hammering on the first motor it developed a knock that I thought for sure was a rod. tore the motor down and could find anything. bearings were good, checked flex plate, tore trans down and nothing. found another 300 block and prepped it. bolted all my stuff to it and it started first try ;>

Took it out to the track after only 1 trip around the block and it ran a 9.28 at 148 MPH!!! damn I love this junkyard motor thing ;>

You say "300" block...do you mean $300 block?  I'm looking to build a turbo motor (preferably a 4.8) for ONE landspeed race, assuming the car goes 200mph on the first outing, which is a big assumption.  A minimum power goal is 600hp, but it could take as much as 800hp, depending on who you believeI'm hoping to show up to the standing mile track with tunes for 600, 700, and 800 hp boost levels and the ability to start small and "turn it up!" as needed.  Mathematical modeling says 600hp is all I need, but I am suspicious that I will, in fact, need more.  Some form of traction control will be part of the plan.  Can you describe the modifications you did to the "junkyard" motor to prep it for your turbo kit?  I find some of these "junkyard" claims to be hard to believe-help make me a believer!?

A pretty good time for how early you are with this new build, and wow, talk about night and day when it comes to part replacement costs!  I've no doubt it was a hassle and a large undertaking making the swap, but what a load off it must be knowing that if something goes wrong it won't destroy your bank balance replacing it.  If blocks are that cheap, you might as well grab another one and have it sitting ready, just in case.  

Good stuff, looking forward to seeing what numbers you lay down as things go forward!

You say "300" block...do you mean $300 block?  I'm looking to build a turbo motor (preferably a 4.8) for ONE landspeed race, assuming the car goes 200mph on the first outing, which is a big assumption.  A minimum power goal is 600hp, but it could take as much as 800hp, depending on who you believeI'm hoping to show up to the standing mile track with tunes for 600, 700, and 800 hp boost levels and the ability to start small and "turn it up!" as needed.  Mathematical modeling says 600hp is all I need, but I am suspicious that I will, in fact, need more.  Some form of traction control will be part of the plan.  Can you describe the modifications you did to the "junkyard" motor to prep it for your turbo kit?  I find some of these "junkyard" claims to be hard to believe-help make me a believer!?

I dunno how it's hard to believe, there's thousands of threads across basically every possible chassis platform of it.  LS1tech has everything you would need to know.

Yes $300... i put 12k into bolt ons but my long block i just installed was 300. As far as prep... i pulled the pistons and regapped factory rings to 30 thou. Installed a cam, lifters, pushrods and oil pump. Car is making over 900 to crank. I followed all advice on internet on how to make them live except rpm. Was shifting at 7k and running it out the topat 6800 and rpm is what claimed that motor.

$300 LS, where in Utah are you finding those? I've seen a few short blocks for that or a little less but everyone seems to want a lot more for a complete long block ($500-750 on average?).

first one i found on ksl was a complete motor for 400, the most recent one i fou d was a shortblock for 300. Several junkyards sell them for 5-600 with complete harness.