HybridZ

POWER STEERING

Not trying to be a jerk, but search the brakes/wheels/suspensioin and chassis forum. I literally pulled up 51 results with term "subaru rack" and I'm sure there a more.  This has been done and researched by a lot of folks on here.  http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

I installed the Z Powersteering electric kit in my '78 280Z which is still undergoing restoration. I haven't had the chance to drive it on the street (only inside the body shop) so I can't comment on how well it works yet. What I can report is that it was a full day job to install and a VERY tight fit in my Z. Because of how heavy the unit that sits under the dash is I even had to construct a steel brace to keep the unit from sagging. I'm just hoping all that work was worth the effort once I drive it. I'll make sure to report back on it.

I installed the Z Powersteering electric kit in my '78 280Z which is still undergoing restoration. I haven't had the chance to drive it on the street (only inside the body shop) so I can't comment on how well it works yet. What I can report is that it was a full day job to install and a VERY tight fit in my Z. Because of how heavy the unit that sits under the dash is I even had to construct a steel brace to keep the unit from sagging. I'm just hoping all that work was worth the effort once I drive it. I'll make sure to report back on it.

That is interesting about the unit sagging. Can you elaborate any more on this? Did you have any discussion with the vendor regarding your findings?

Edited by DREW RBZ

That is interesting about the unit sagging. Can you elaborate any more on this? Did you have any discussion with the vendor regarding your findings?

I haven't spoken to the vendor hoping that once I test it, it will function well and (as usual) most installations require some degree of adaptation or fabrication. It's not easy to explain but the new steering column that comes with the unit has 2 universal joints. Given the electric motor must weigh close to 10 lbs, these joints allow the column to sag by pivoting on these joints. I didn't photograph the installation due to the space restriction but you might get a better idea if you check out their webpage and see the different parts to the unit.

I'm considering this as well so any information you have on your installation and how well it works would be helpful and appreciated.

Christine

I'm considering this as well so any information you have on your installation and how well it works would be helpful and appreciated.

Christine

Hi Christine, I should have something to report by middle of next week. My build has slowed down considerably but I'm pushing it along as much as I can without becoming a total PITA.

Last year we had a z show local here in San Diego and I spoke with I believe Greg Childs owner of Z Power Steering and had a chance to sit in the demo car while idling and crank the wheel back and forth. I was impressed enough just from that easy motion back and forth but am also looking forward to a more in depth review when you guys get the time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I took this quick cell phone pic today to document the Performance Pedals but noticed that you can actually see the motor to the ZPower Steering unit protruding slightly below the edge of the dash board (silver bulk). It does not impede your feet from acting on the pedals but illustrates the limited space available for this install (at least in my 1978 280Z). I will be painting the unit black to make it less conspicuous.

post-49397-0-61175700-1450241980_thumb.png

Here you go Target.

First you need a Subaru Forester rack (mine was 1999) Ebay $100 bucks.

2 Volvo S80 inner tie rods $30 each

Borgenson Universal joint $85

3/4 inch bushing drilled out to fit Z steering shaft.

2 280z right side outer tie rods.

Standard Z poly rack bushings, left side ground down to fit the square rack.

You do need to slightly modify some of the parts (cut down the threads on inner rods slightly, same with outer) and modify the cross member (left side motor mount and left side rack mount, the Z mount is round the Subaru rack is square and the angle of the input shaft is different) and come up with a power steering pump.

Other than that, it's a pretty awesome upgrade, the rack is faster and not to light so it's just right for the Z I think!!

Nothing against the electric conversion, but this is way cheaper with common source-able parts.

Edited by whatnow123

I finally have something to report regarding the ZPower steering kit after having driven the car about 150 miles the last couple of days.

Funny thing was that at very first I thought I wasn't getting any power to the unit since the steering felt as if I hadn't done a thing. I had tucked the rheostat control knob (which regulates the amount of assist) up and behind the dash so I'd forgotten about it. All I needed to do was turn the knob clockwise and the unit came to life. It makes a huge difference. The feel takes a little getting used to and you do need to play with that control knob until you feel it assists you just enough for effortless driving but still permits the wanted feel of the road. You could always decrease assist for highway driving and just turn it up when you're in city traffic or are going to maneuver the car for parking. It's also totally silent during operation. Now that I'm satisfied I drilled a 1/2" hole to the right of the dimmer control knob (close to the steering plastic covers) and permanently installed the control knob for easy access with my left hand and painted the motor itself flat black to make the portion of it that juts barely under the dash much less conspicuous.. I'll post pics of that tomorrow.

In conclusion this unit is expensive, not easily installed in 3 hours (took me six to eight hours) but does what it's intended to do: decrease steering effort.

Does it feel better than modern electric steering systems which can be turned with one finger but remove all feel of the steering wheel being anyway connected with the front wheels?

I've never driven a car with electric power steering before so I really don't have a valid comparison. If you turn it all the way to max assist there is no road feel at all and you can definitely steer with one finger.