HybridZ

LSx swap header collector gasket

My LS1 swap likes to chew through the header collector gaskets.  The first gasket that was installed at the exhaust shop was a typical composite gasket.  It lasted all of 1000 miles before burning through.  I then installed a solid aluminum gasket on both collectors and they only lasted 6000 miles.  The pictures below show the gaskets after I took them off the car.  The second image shows the two gaskets overlaying each other and the distortion is identical, eventhough they "failed" 180 degrees apart.  In other words, one gasket failed facing the radiator core and the other facing the rear of the car.

Does anyone else have this issue?  It's not hard to change them out, only a PITA due to the tight confines and the bolts siezing due to the heat.

post-1734-0-65456700-1448684238_thumb.jpg

post-1734-0-65296900-1448684239_thumb.jpg

I would recommend the Flowmaster ball flange set.  I've owned cars with regular header collector gaskets and they always seem to leak after a period of time.  The ball flange provides extra degrees of freedom in terms of alignment whereas I don't think v-bands will.  Here's what they look like on my car.  I love the ball flange setup and would do it again in a heartbeat. 

I've got ~4500 miles on this setup with no leaks and don't expect to ever have any based on the design and sealing surface area.  This design is similar to what some of the OEMs are using. 

Hope this helps.

post-25803-0-26454700-1448951499_thumb.jpg

post-25803-0-61900400-1448951531_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikey303LSZ