HybridZ

Motorcraft carb in 280z?

Eleon502

After a deep researching into z forums, I found that there are a couple of setups that works very good in the 280z, the Holley 390 cfm And the SUs. But unfortunatelly here in México is complicated to get one of those in good condition, so Im currently thinking in a option for a carb to my Z, And is a 2 barrel Ford Motorcraft, here is very common And many old school shops know how to get calibrate, but I want yo know what do you think guys?

My Z is a 280z 1976 from California totally legal in Mexico (that kind of cars are difficult to legalize) And the Datsun is currently running with a old Datsun carb from a 1800cc carb, so isnt running like I want hehe. The intake manifold is Customs mexican madera so needs a new one.

Anyone had experience with this kind of setup?

Any suggestions are welcome

Saludos amigos!! Desde Mexico

I'm currently working on converting to a 2 barrel carb setup myself.

A clifford intake manifold will give you the proper setup.  You may have to modify the exhaust manifold slightly.

http://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/Datson-Intake-Manifold-48-4500WH.htm

I would also recommend a new manifold stud kit, such as the complete kit offered by MSA.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic12e01a/15-8083

As far as is a Motorcraft better/worse than a Holley, that's mostly opinion.  Everyone has carbs they swear by, and carbs they hate.  If there are a bunch available in your area, go with that.

What kind of 2 barrel carb you will use?, thanks for your feedback, but I think I will go for a custom made intake manifold, just I will get some patterns to show to the custom manifold shop. Is better to have a good distance between the carb and the cylinder?

The intake manifold is Customs mexican madera so needs a new one.

Carb to manifold adapters are common.  Might be easier and just as effective as building a new manifold.  Identify a common carburetor that's appropriate for the engine and build an adapter to your current manifold, or a stock 240Z manifold.

What is a "Customs mexican madera" manifold?