HybridZ

Exposed's 1jz Build

On 12/8/2017 at 2:49 PM, Geno750 said:

That's the turbo I wanted to go with (or EFR8374). Couldn't pass up the S364sxe deal, but it's going to be a laggy bastard.

I think both of you are insane lol. I've got massive traction problems and problems hitting too much boost with my S257, can't imagine with your S300 frames. 

3 hours ago, seattlejester said:

I think both of you are insane lol. I've got massive traction problems and problems hitting too much boost with my S257, can't imagine with your S300 frames. 

Wider tires and an LSD REALLY REALLY REALLY Help.

255/40R17 Firestone Oval firehawks (summer)

Mfactory LSD

Makes a big big difference!

Oh, and I am using 1jZ bored out twins from driftmotion running 14 psi with 436 WHP....  fyi

Living in the PNW..I feel your pain with wet traction..but for Dry traction I ran R888...holy hesus was she amazing in the dry!

You got 60mm more tire width than me on much better compounds. I'm afraid adding that much more traction is just asking for trouble from the axles or the stub axles. Basically using the smaller wheels as blow off valves for the torque and power.

Both Exposed and Geno are running 2.5L blocks though right? I guess with the smaller displacement and bigger hotside your turbo would come online much later.

yup I have a 2.5L block, from what I was looking at I think it'll come on in the mid rpms. Could be wrong though first time really looking at anything like this so it was almost like learning a new language :mellow:

did anyone have to modify the aluminum neck right below the thermostat? no matter what I did the manifold constantly bumped into it. I ended up just cutting it off so I'll have to reweld 45 or something similar onto it.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:49 PM, seattlejester said:

You got 60mm more tire width than me on much better compounds. I'm afraid adding that much more traction is just asking for trouble from the axles or the stub axles. Basically using the smaller wheels as blow off valves for the torque and power.

Both Exposed and Geno are running 2.5L blocks though right? I guess with the smaller displacement and bigger hotside your turbo would come online much later.

Yeah, 2.5L here, but I have VVTI and a head that should still flow well enough for trips into 8500-9000rpm territory. Should produce a decent power band, and will be fun even off boost compared to the stock motor.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update, received the manifold after welding was finished and also received some misc. things. Used a vibrant fitting from the engine to the oil inlet on the turbo, part No. listed incase anyone is curious bolt size that buttons up to the engine is M12x 1.25.

2q3nhja.jpg

9rlzxh.jpg

m743fd.jpg

oil drain flange looks to be well made and comes with an O-ring.

2v2gyvc.jpg

1zci8av.jpg

Have a couple options for the oil inlet on the turbo, was thinking of using the flange. What does everyone recommend left or right?

25klzz9.jpg

Oil drain is installed and looks to be about 1/2" away from the manifold. Should I be concerned about heat?

Vibrant says there hoses there hoses are "capable of handling operating temperatures ranging from -40 deg F to 300 deg F and elevated operating pressure of 500psi." 

9pnbf6.jpg

2rdar75.jpg

2h87ccl.jpg

rrqr6a.jpg

Edited by Exposed
doubled one of the pictures

No need to reinvent the wheel, and drilling to get the flange installed and using gaskets isn't really worth it IMO, the threaded fitting should be fine. Do make sure to mark it somehow so you can tell if it backs off. My friend told me he found all of his loose one time, and I checked and found my feed loose. He carries a wrench now to check at gas stops, I put a little reflective tape on mine to see if it rotates.

The stainless and the aluminum fitting should be fine it is indeed the inside that is the concern. 

Some shielding wouldn't probably go amiss. Just make sure your shielding still has an air gap or else instead of having to fight radiative heat it has to also fight conductive heat.

• 4 weeks later...

@seattlejester I was thinking about leaving it like that but I think I'm going to do a custom oil catch can and just run some -8an lines. Was thinking of fabbing up a catch can in the space between the battery and the passenger strut tower. I'll put that filter on the catch after. Already made my cardboard template.

Whats your opinion on leaving just the filter?

@Greeko lol 10 months of winter, sadly its true. and yes the TTT strut does clear the engine.

@Exposed Oh well this is a fancy feature. With higher boost levels people have noted positive pressure in the crank case. With out positive evacuation from the crank case (crank case vents through head into valve covers) the positive pressure can push out the front main seal causing the dreaded FMS oil leak especially if it isn't installed perfectly. So some people say you have to run vacuum to the valve cover vents, as in to the inlet to the turbo or exhaust driven vacuum. Granted you don't want to pull oil vapors through the turbo people usually run catch cans inline to the vacuum source. 

People who run open air systems have reported front main seal leaks, most people usually don't find the problem until they go to do the timing belt and find a bunch of oil residue behind the timing belt cover. Some have gotten away with running a dip stick vent although not sure how effective that alone is.