HybridZ
Exposed

Exposed's 1jz Build

18 hours ago, Exposed said:

so currently have the car at the shop that's going to be tuning it, has anyone run into not enough/ low spark before?

I ran into it on a different engine. Bought a hks DLI and that solved it. For these cars though it could be due to cracks in the boot on the coil, or just an old worn out coil. Could also be too much spark plug gap.

If it's none of the above and you're shopping for coils there are a ton of aftermarket solutions for people on stand alone ecu's. Everything from R35 GTR coils to GM truck coils, even Mercury Marine coils have been used on these motors.

I'll ask the shop to check the gap on my plugs, coils are less than a year old, I double checked them before I sent the car to the tuner but I'll ask them to check this as well. They're thinking its the wiring pin out, upon searching for some answers I think I may have found something. I purchased my harness from wiring specialties roughly two years ago, I found a video on youtube from wiring specialties titled "repinning Jz connector" that was posted a year ago. I contacted them and they said that the video applys to "the first couple of harnesses had ignition pin off by 1 pin. If the car ran, you are all good." I figure it doesnt hurt to check.

I also asked the tuner about just switching out for smart coils, he recommended finding whats causing the issue before switching them out though.

Appreciate the speedy response Geno. @Geno750 where did you get your AEM coil plate from?

It would be better to figure out what is going on before just throwing parts at it. Visually firing coils using an inline spark tester is super easy and will answer soooo many questions.

I went with the 1ZZFE smart coils. They are awfully tall, but they throw a good spark, cheap, and available used or new. 

found the causes of the weak spark, it turned out to be due to using two different brand harnesses, and one of the harnesses had one incorrect pin for the ignition system, the second reason was due to the igniter needing a better ground. The car is running but i need to upgrade my fuel pump now.

Posted (edited)

Got my car back from the tuners! Happy with the numbers considering everything i found out.

Starting my fenders. Looking for some honest feedback and opinions. couple things right off the bat that i dislike and im sure ill revise the design of the fenders abit.

15289380905881056786464528054315.jpg

15289380446637719937459209622462.jpg

15289405740957674759344337369928.jpg

Edited by Exposed
More pictures

^I'll have to agree, I've begun to see the ones without the fenders past the body line as wrong now, they just look like they are sitting too low.

Granted those don't look like the standard flares.

I can appreciate the non circular flares for the front where with low off set wheels and turning it is required, but in the rear it looks a bit off.

@softopz ended up making 300whp and torque was at 280, that was at 6500rpm. I was limited due to my fuel system, it'll be one of the next things upgraded.

@Ereschkigal @seattlejester thanks for the feedback, shortly after taking those pictures I ended up pulling the fenders further away from the body of the car in order to lengthen them a bit. I like how they sit a little better, i'll need to see if they hit or pass that body line a bit later today. The non circular flares were bugging me they just didn't look right, ended up cutting them up going to be attempting to make them more circular. 

20180612_201438.jpg

• Like 1