HybridZ

yaseen2492

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. I have a 1970 240z that I am currently working. I am picking up an L28et as well as a 5 speed transmission from a 1983 280zx. I am looking to get a good amount of power out of this engine (around 450+ whp). After hours of research I have come up with the following

L28et

P90 head- port and polish

dewebbed intake manifold

JE forged flat top pistons (raise compression to 8:5:1)

Injector 550cc 
Holset hx35 turbo
Fuel rail? Depends what's out there
Stand alone megasquirt ecu
Differential 3.9 or 4.11 r180
3" exhaust

I know I am missing a few things but I just wanted to get your guys input. I am new to these engines so please bear with me. Thanks.

450+ rwhp is very doable in an 2.8 L series motor without meth injection if it's tuned correctly. I'm pushing 600...no meth inj. To get good reliable rwhp it's all about air flow. My only suggestions in addition to your proposed set up would to look into a good turbo cam (lots of posts here on turbo cams) focus on lift not duration, lower the static compression to somewhere around 7.5-7.8, and port the stock turbo exhaust manifold especially where 1-2-3-4 converge. I don't know Holset turbos.  I work with Garrett. Just make sure your turbo supports your hp targets. Next steps would include a drivetrain that safely handles 450+ rwhp, lightened/aluminum flywheel, clutch, trans, larger driveshaft with solid u-joints (Spicer 1310), and upgraded rear axles, cv's etc. 

Good luck and have fun.

pm me your info and if you are on Facebook there is a Z group local here in lower NYC area.

For some reason I can't PM you. I keep receiving an error.

450+ rwhp is very doable in an 2.8 L series motor without meth injection if it's tuned correctly. I'm pushing 600...no meth inj. To get good reliable rwhp it's all about air flow. My only suggestions in addition to your proposed set up would to look into a good turbo cam (lots of posts here on turbo cams) focus on lift not duration, lower the static compression to somewhere around 7.5-7.8, and port the stock turbo exhaust manifold especially where 1-2-3-4 converge. I don't know Holset turbos.  I work with Garrett. Just make sure your turbo supports your hp targets. Next steps would include a drivetrain that safely handles 450+ rwhp, lightened/aluminum flywheel, clutch, trans, larger driveshaft with solid u-joints (Spicer 1310), and upgraded rear axles, cv's etc. 

Good luck and have fun.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Would you mind telling me more about your setup?

My engine is a 2.8 F54 block bored to 88 mm, diesel crank offset ground to 85mm stroke, custom JE pistons, custom Eagle H beam rods, P90 head ported by Gerolomy flowing 214 cfm @.550 lift Intake, 153 cfm @ .550 lift Exhaust, custom Isky cam .540 lift both sides 270 duration both sides 109 lobe center, custom turbo exhaust manifold, Garrett GTX35R T4 .82, TWM ITB’s, TEC3r engine management, 10 lb aluminum flywheel, SPEC stage 5 double clamp clutch, T5 tranny with a G Force gear set. The engine is surprisingly docile with virtually no lag. It's important that everything is sized and working together and the beast tuned correctly. I run anywhere from 14 to 21 psi on the street.  The key to hp and torque is air flow and with this set up the engine makes so much power at 18psi that I rarely run up to 21 on the street even with sticky 275's on the rear.  If you want more specific info pm me.

My engine is a 2.8 F54 block bored to 88 mm, diesel crank offset ground to 85mm stroke, custom JE pistons, custom Eagle H beam rods, P90 head ported by Gerolomy flowing 214 cfm @.550 lift Intake, 153 cfm @ .550 lift Exhaust, custom Isky cam .540 lift both sides 270 duration both sides 109 lobe center, custom turbo exhaust manifold, Garrett GTX35R T4 .82, TWM ITB’s, TEC3r engine management, 10 lb aluminum flywheel, SPEC stage 5 double clamp clutch, T5 tranny with a G Force gear set. The engine is surprisingly docile with virtually no lag. It's important that everything is sized and working together and the beast tuned correctly. I run anywhere from 14 to 21 psi on the street.  The key to hp and torque is air flow and with this set up the engine makes so much power at 18psi that I rarely run up to 21 on the street even with sticky 275's on the rear.  If you want more specific info pm me.

wow impressive, do you have any pictures or videos of this car online? I would love to see it.

Yaseen2492 I don't have any videos but I have some pictures.  I'll try to get them up in the next few days.

Theatriks Yes I mentor guys. I do it offline. If you're interested send me a pm.  I've been working on Z's and 510's for over 45 years (yes I'm an old fart).

Nice...especially the ITB's.  What kind of displacement does it have?  I have a similar setup engine but with a GT35R T3 .63 A/R and a single throttle body.  I've never had it dyno'ed but even with my crappy tune it produces enough power to put a nice big grin on my face every time I drive it.  I do believe it's running out of air up top though...

Rossman

The displacement is 3.1.  I kept the bore to 88mm to avoid wall flex under high boost. I could have gone to 89mm but what I wanted was longer stroke not necessarily more cc.

Before I went to the LD28crank offset to 85mm I ran a stock L28 crank. I was also running the GT35r. Same as you.  GTX35r came later. With the GT35r I didn’t have issues of top end breathing. It pulled hard to 7400. What are your cam specs? What a/r are you running on the GT35? Has the head been ported? Have you ported the exhaust manifold? 3 inch exhaust? Its all about flow. Air flow makes power. PSI is a measure of air flow resistance. If you treat your engine build as if it’s an NA and to get the most flow possible THEN the turbo application will make big hp/tq. By the way, a stock L series turbo exhaust manifold will hit a wall at 6400rpm unless it’s ported.  Runners 1-2-3-4 all come together and are chocked down by a very restrictive narrow merge into the flange collector. Opening that up helps a lot. 

Good luck.