HybridZ

New Fuel Cell Install Idea...

Mikelly

Well I'm in to a new project on the Z and I will be documenting it for you all. I have purchased a Summit Racing Fuel Cell that comes in a "Fuel Safe" DESIGN with 20 Guage steel container and vent and pickup mounted up top. I have cut the 26X17 square out of the back of the car and am in the process of removing the exhaust so the unit can be fitted in place and requisite holes drilled for the unit to bolt into the deck. I'll be welding in some bracing to protect the unit and provide a more sturdy resting place for the 22 gallon cell. I'm also gonna make the unit fillable from the rear outside of the car. I ordered a Fuel Safe 90 degree filler with rollover flap valve, and and resessed filler that will likely go behind the license plate. The addition of the extra 6 gallons and the added safety of the safe, the external filling and the addition of FOAM again (didn't know it came with it) will be nice.

I'll post a new article when all is done... Total cost should be less than $400 for everything, minus the additional cost for modifying the exhaust system, but that gave me good reason to swap mufflers anyway!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Mike,

That is a great. The more I think about it, the more I want a fuel cell in my street Z car! More room under there and easy maintenance. I will look forward to seeing the pics. I would love to post the install, with pics, on our website (ideal-z.com) if you agree!

Craig

Mike,

Do you have a part number for the fuel cell from Summit? I have been looking for something similar and I will be happy to let you lead the way through the installation wink.gif

Thanks

Ryal Cox

the number is...

sum-290113

I've also ordered some parts from my local Hot Rod shop for the cell to be plumbed to the outside of the car. Not sure how it will work just yet, but I'm pretty sure it will look real trick. I'm using some nice Fuel Safe filler and ressesed fender filler parts to complete the install of this thing and I've got Chris on board with welding up the area under the rear deck and adding some support for the whole unit. Very nice for the price. Pete paraska and Chris were over today taking a look and it is gonna work out nice!

Pics to follow!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk