HybridZ

EFI conversion

SoloRick

• 3 months later...

Cheaper to just mount the fuel pump in rubber.  BMW made a nice rubber capsule for the Bosch external pumps on their older cars.  But even a rubber washer under the mounting points will make a difference.

Not an EFI conversion per se, just eliminating the external pump in favor of the internal phantom system. post-49674-0-57367600-1459687385_thumb.jpgpost-49674-0-44248300-1459687389_thumb.jpgpost-49674-0-98209100-1459687393_thumb.jpg

This was in a 280z stock tank, and wasn't the easiest to fit.  The best place for it required rotation and slight modification of the sending unit to clear the foam baffle, some reshaping of the small hump present in the tank just where the pump goes, and plugging the original supply/return lines.  I also removed the supply/return lines and the swirl pot from inside the tank.  Only the vent lines remain.  This left the supply/return/vent from the aeromotive pump facing rearwards, so I made some hardlines to route the connections around the tank under the filler neck to the front of the tank and connect to the new 3/8 fuel lines under the floor pan.  I can't find any pictures of that at the moment.

It performed well when tested, but haven't driven the car yet with this setup partially because of other work I'm still doing with the car and I have the great misfortune of living in a winter climate.  I'd be interested to see what others have done with this pump arrangement as well.

I forgot to mention that the extension kit was not required, I mounted the pump in the deepest portion of the tank (save for that odd elongated hump at the very front of the tank ahead of the sending unit) and it was just the right length without trimming.  Some slight compression of the foam at the very top.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I looked on Rick's Tanks website, didn't see anything for S30s. Is that tank intended for some other vehicle?

I called them, they want $1495 for the tank, pump, sender, straps, vents, fittings, etc. Looks beautiful and when you considered that price is for everything, really not too bad for a nice custom job. They're very friendly too

• 1 month later...

I'm considering the Phantom 200. I like the placement, but how do you ensure that the pump stays in the fuel in that location, or is it adjustable in such a way that the filter and pump can be vertical even when the bracket is horizontal?

Nevermind, I didn't realize this was a later 280Z tank. I've never seen one, and didn't realize the sender is actually on top.

Edited by DuoWing