HybridZ

Turbo ignition

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm not happy with the ignition on my nearly stock '81ZXT. I contacted MSD by e-mail and they advised me to use a 6BTM unit. Basically its a 6 AL with boost retard control.

Now the question, has anyone used this box on an '82 or '83 turbo? How does it interface with the '82/'83 tps and ignition module in the distributor? How does it interface with the ECU?

Will it work at all?

Why is the sky blue? Oops, I know that one.

Answers/suggestions/comments appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

Hey Dan, sorry the ECU and AFM I sold you didn't fix your problems.

I know I've seen the 6AL on a zx turbo before, so its my guess that it can happen... MSD should be able to tell you for sure though.

The unit shouldn't really need to be connected to the TPS or the ECU as far as I can see. The BTM basically just uses a vacuum signal from your intake manifold, and determines if you need to retard timing based on what you set the dial to. (0degrees - 3degrees retard per psi boost)

I've never owned an MSD before, but its my guess that it takes the spark signal from the ignition module, and then determines how to fire the coil. In which case I'd think that the ECU won't even know its there.

I am sure someone here has actually USED a MSD 6A/6AL/6BTM before... I'm just guessing really.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

http://members.home.net/drax77/newpage.html

[This message has been edited by Drax240z (edited November 27, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys. Drax-the parts did correct one of the issues I was having. The car runs and drives well.

There is a roughness at idle and just off idle. When the car "misses" I can see the tach needle drop fractionally.

I'm probably picking nits but I'd like the car to idle as smoothly as the engine design will allow and I don't think I'm there yet.

I plan to replace the injectors, then we'll see what we've got.

Thanks again for the replys.

Dan