HybridZ

Electric 280z with a massive 13.5" GE motor

jmead

Any progress on this project? Your rear wheel drive Z is no match to the awd tesla.  Too much tire spin with just 2 wheel drive.  Did you see that video on youtube the video of the guy who reverse engeneered a tesla motor?  https://youtu.be/zMQjcukphpA 

He says he's the only person in the world that has used the tesla motor in another vehicle.  You should make a video too when yours is done showing your

monster motor running in the Z.

I've got a Tesla. I've done plenty of measuring, it would be very difficult to fit the Tesla drivetrain into a datsun. The Model S is a very wide car, first of all. And it has huge brake rotors. I've got a picture of my Z and Tesla side-by-side somewhere...it makes the datsun look absolutely tiny. 

A Tesla makes around 4,000 ft-lbs to the rear wheels. With 2000 amps into this motor it will do around 3,500 ft-lbs in a vehicle 1/2 the weight. 

The battery is a much more important consideration. I've working on a battery solution that will beat the Tesla pack in terms of energy per pound and energy per cubic foot, but less power. Mainly because the Tesla pack has a lot of structure and packaging due to it's size, and the packaging density of the cells isn't great due to the water cooling channels touching all the cells. 

However the batteries I've got in the car now will blow away the Tesla cells in terms of power output. But not energy density. It's all a trade-off. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's always a trade-off.  Our lithium starting batteries can put out 48C rate for 30 seconds and 28C continuous discharge, so would be ideal for a drag car or a driver.  As you stated, it would be at a compromise of range and very costly. 

I assume you will disassemble and make pretty after you make it all work or is it just an exercise in proof of concept? 

• 1 month later...