HybridZ

Headlight install issues

I purchased a set of Hella Vision Plus 7 headlights for my S30 a few months back and have just gotten around to installing them. The issue I'm running into is fitting the light into the headlight bucket, it sits fairly far out (about a 1/4") due to the tabs on the side of the light being way longer than my previous set. The headlight retainer ring starts to bend when I try to screw it down, it just can't get close enough because of those darn tabs on the light.

Does anyone here have experience with the same model headlight, or a similar issue with a different light? It seems like a bad idea to install the light with that much of a gap since water would get in pretty easily. Here are some photos that try to capture the problem:

post-3338-0-15387000-1450730460_thumb.jpg

post-3338-0-52712400-1450730490_thumb.jpg

Edited by DeLorean

Hello,

Yes, I had this exact issue.

The tabs as you see have 2 levels, a long and short.  I nipped off the short one and was left with the two longer tabs on each side.  I just bent them inward and instead of having a squared tab shape, I now have what looks like two triangles.  Fit fairly decent, a little loose but you can make up the slack by tightening or a piece of foam etc.

I am at work but I will post pics of exactly this when i get home, 3-ish hours.

But for now, my tabs look like this /\/\ instead of the default squares.

-Brian

Edited by mehas240z

Sorry, guess I don't have a picture.  I hope what I said makes sense. I just cut the smaller part of the tab and pushed the wider part in towards eachother and formed a triangle.

Bam!

I had it

Headlight%20Tabs_zpsvt6pe3px.jpg

Hope this helps.

-Brian

Edited by mehas240z