HybridZ

Seibon hoods and Retro Spec parts

Arif

I don't know about Coffey's hoods, would be interested to find out. John Washington's fiberglass skin weighs 11 lbs. not sure on the full hood.

http://www.ztrix.com/hoods/hood-skin-only-no-factory-style-reinforcing.html

I have planned a bunch of his parts.

My aerated John Washington fiberglass hood, with frame, weighs 16 pounds (7.25 kilos)

P1020670_zpsc1508ee6.jpg

Thanks for the link! I still trying to justify paying that amount for the hood ahaha I'm really curious now with the Seibon hoods. I think the nature of the design is what's causing the heavy hoods. Top Stage is using dry carbon instead of wet carbon like everyone else.

Yup, that's it in the photo I posted.

Needed some bodywork to get perfectly straight, of course, but it's a lot better quality than the other one I had (unsure of what brand that was...not Retro or Seibon). I'm using the stock hinges in front with no torsion bars (even a single torsion bar pushes the hood up—I need to find a solution, but it's low on the list) and it's pinned on the cowl side. I'm no FG hood expert, but I assume any hood that's around 16-18 lbs flexes if it's not pinned at all four corners. 

Sorry, can't really find a better photo that show the hinges. When you catch your one-eyed cat riding shotgun...

post-32762-0-37736200-1464042604_thumb.jpg

Edited by fyanrudger

I bought a Seibon hood for my '71 240Z. It weighs 8 lbs. The stock hood weighs 37 lbs. I weighed both on a digital bathroom scale (my weight holding the hood, minus just my weight). My only complaint about the Seibon hood is that there is no metal reinforcement in the flanges that stick out that bolt on to the hood hinges. One of mine has cracked and now I need to figure out a way to reinforce and fix it. My friend had a carbon fiber hood on his Z (can't remember what brand) and it did have metal reinforcements in those flanges. Those see a lot of stress and I wouldn't buy another carbon hood without first checking if those areas have any metal reinforcement. Other than that, the fitment was great.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought a Seibon hood for my '71 240Z. It weighs 8 lbs. The stock hood weighs 37 lbs. I weighed both on a digital bathroom scale (my weight holding the hood, minus just my weight). My only complaint about the Seibon hood is that there is no metal reinforcement in the flanges that stick out that bolt on to the hood hinges. One of mine has cracked and now I need to figure out a way to reinforce and fix it. My friend had a carbon fiber hood on his Z (can't remember what brand) and it did have metal reinforcements in those flanges. Those see a lot of stress and I wouldn't buy another carbon hood without first checking if those areas have any metal reinforcement. Other than that, the fitment was great.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Did you remove the hood Torsion springs or leave them installed?  

• 2 months later...

My Restored Bonnet turned up today, thanks to Datsmo for helping supply it.

I went for the full carbon fibre bonnet with carbon fibre frame. Its very nice and should save a fair amount. I'll weigh my stock one when I get a chance but its got to be around the 17kg mark so I will save over 10kg's even once its painted as carbon one only weighs 5.75kg (12.6lbs)

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

• 7 months later...

FWIW, I have a ZTrix hood on my 2X Nat Champ EP car. It weights 10 lbs and was weighed with an accurate scale. I asked John Washington to lay this up with weight in mind. The hood is sufficiently stiff and doesn't have any CF in it. It's pretty surprising really. I bought some more of these recently with John and they weighed 13.5 lbs. I assume this hood would work properly with the front torsion mechanism on the stock Z, but we don't use that or the rear latch.

Hope this helps.

Greg Ira

Folks, I almost forgot. I bought a rear spoiler from Retro-Spec. I also ordered this with weight in mind. It's carbon and I notified them I would be painting it. The quality of the job was darn good and it weighed under 3 lbs. It is the taller BRE type spoiler.

Greg

Edited by gira