HybridZ

Undoing aluminum valve cover warpage

seattlejester

I'm not sure if I am explaining this using the correct term, but the gasket has a valley that it sits in, it is not a flat gasket.

7mgte valve cover

The edges of the flange are also rounded to I imagine prevent it from cutting into the gasket. Machining the flange would expose more of the gasket and I imagine could cause it to fold over or not be retained as nicely.

The front would definitely be off limits as it seals against the camshaft, the rear I guess could be milled flat with the hope of not exposing too much of the gasket. And then further machined round to prevent gasket cutting.

I think the plan of action is to install it and pull it down on the head, if I feel resistance, I am going to pull it off and try a newer gasket, if that doesn't work then straps or bolting down onto something with gradual heat, and if all that fails probably a trip to my local machine shop to have them throw it on their mill or belt sander or what not to flatten it out. 

• 3 weeks later...

So it shrunk the flange side when it got welded. Easy fix.

If you support each end on pieces of wood, protect the top (I would tape it up with gorilla tape, then a couple layers of 3/4" plywood or mdf covering the middle third) and hit it with a hammer or a press it would go right back. Should go pretty easily since the flange lower perimeter should be partly annealed.