HybridZ

got my EFI:-)!! now what fuel pump?

Well amongst my final exams I took a few seconds to put in my bid on a v. tightwire finish... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=521638598&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=976854499&indexURL=0&rd=1

freaky realizing you got it by <$8 overall (to beat minimum increment)

..and came out on top with the edelbrock 3500 EFI multiport unit built on the Victor Jr:-) This is the setup I've wanted as I'm a HUGE fan of the Victor Junior and their interface offers same as SDS but I can keep a dizzy and still retain full electronic timing control with all GM sensors etc.

anyhow, not my question.....it's not coming with a fuel pump, what's my best bang/buck pump to support 450hp (flywheel)/6500rpm...and if a significantly cheaper pump can be had for 400hp/6000rpm I'd like to know that too. Has to be a reliable unit. To date most reccomendations are for in tank OE's like Z32/RX7TT etc and I want an outside pump....think I need 40psi min....

thanks

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Damn, good buy - congrats!

As for pumps... Pick up a Mustang mag or maybe a GM performance type mag. Lot's of fuel pumps from Aeromotice, Paxton, and others. NOT cheap but they flow BIG. Th ePaxton red pump might work - I've got the blue. Be sure to mount it with some rubber - it's louder than the damned V8 in my Mustang (from inside). Mallory makes some too but I'm not sure on quality and after seeing how crappy their 5.0 Mustang fuel regulator iswas I'm not sure I trust them very far.

Oh yeah, the Buick GN guys run a big external Bosch pump. Not sure what it's off of but that might also be a good OEM quality type pump. Scotty what is that thing? Worth looking at and is it self priming? Check valve in it?

Thanks BLKMGK.

A good US friend offered me his Paxton "Advertised to deliver 1100 HP worth of

fuel @45 psi (should be enough fer ya :wink: It is a bit large though...about 3"

dia and mabey 6" long w/ -10 ports. I also have a matching (replaceable

element) fuel filter. "

for the right price but I got some feedback on DIYEFI "I have heard some less than positive reviews of that pump and of the SX

when used in a daily driver. Apparently they can flow like a fire hose

but aren't the most reliable. "

So I thought I had a wicked fuel pump for pretty cheap but am now uncertain. Mine will be an outside/external mount pump but I still don't want a howler at all. When I get a chance I'll get to surfing some GN sites.

Local's have suggested any V8 OE pump or turbo/super charged V6 OE pump....but noone with the experience/knowledge to give firm advice.

Looks like most GN6's are running internal pumps http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/faq/techfaq2.html

but they do mention this one I'll check out..I'll assume that sensitivity/lower hp is like a 2-300hp setup and won't affect my tuning much??

"External Bosch 287 Puller Pump

This alternative involves mounting an external pump and pulling the fuel thru the stock in-tank pump. It delivers higher

pressure and lots of volume.

Advantages: Lots of volume. Available thru a variety of sources. Doesn't involve dropping the gas tank.

Disadvantages: The volume can make tuning difficult, especially in lower HP cars. Small adjustments can result in big

changes. An adjustable regulator is recommended to compensate for the increased fuel delivery and to aid in tuning. Noise

can be a problem unless extreme care is taken in isolating the mounting of the pump (with rubber washers). Needs additional

wiring and a relay. May heat the fuel."

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest Anonymous

Mallory makes a external pump that supposedly makes up to 60 psi. Only two downsides, one is its $250.00 (but high pressure fuel pumps aren't cheap), and the other is its Mallory (reason I say that is, I've heard really mixed reaction about they're products lately..). Saw it at either Jegs or Summit I think FWIW.

Lone

Have you checked with Kinsler?

http://www.kinsler.com

They probably won't be the cheapest, but they do have an excellent selection of fuel system components, and they can tell you the specific characteristics of every pump that they sell. For a nominal fee, they will flow test your pump and send it to you with a spec sheet showing it's performance (current draw and fuel flow) at various outlet pressures.

They have several pumps that will flow over 300lb/hr at 50psi, and will fit in the stock datsun FI fuel pump mount.

I don't think that you'll find anybody that knows fuel delivery systems better than they do.

Besides, especially if you're a V8 guy, it's worth a look just to drool over the beautiful manifold setups that they offer wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

Get a z32 turbo fuel pump and mount it in the fuel tank. It'll last forever and will do 500 horsepower easily. It's more work than an external pump, but it'll be much more reliable and probably cheaper if you get a decent price at a junkyard. Just weld the ring into your tank and off you go.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Don't use the stock RX7TT pumps. I've got an RX7 and am considering upgrading mine as it is said to become a weak point as you surpass 300hp. I'm not sure but frankly I'd rather be safe smile.gif

The Paxton blue pump is what your friend has - I've got one. It's NOISY the way I've got it mounted but I have met folks using them on the street (shrug). I'll be using mine on the street and expect no problems. However it doesn't appear to have a checkvalve in it so starting you have to wait a sec for fuel pressure to build - bleah.

The GN Bosch pump are supposed to be good and are certainly a known quantity on those cars. The Supra pump I don't know about but worth looking at - I'd cruise their boards to see what they think - I can give you links if you'd like.

quote:

Originally posted by Morgan:

Get a z32 turbo fuel pump and mount it in the fuel tank. It'll last forever and will do 500 horsepower easily. It's more work than an external pump, but it'll be much more reliable and probably cheaper if you get a decent price at a junkyard. Just weld the ring into your tank and off you go.

Morgan, I'd love to do that if the logistics of mounting in tank weren't so daunting. It's a bit of an excercise just removing my intank sending unit/top cap assembly and getting it back in. I haven't seen a Z32TT pump but they have come highly rec'd and are $350US new at jobber price. I'm not a fan of making anything more difficult to service if ever needed either and take a lot of pride in my efforts to keep it an easy to work on/service car so that/install headache/cost are holding it back. SupraTT and the RX7TT are also highly rec'd.